Sep 14, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
1984 at the All-Star Game in Denver is when the NBA brought the Dunk Contest back (sort of, it was an old ABA thing). Dr. J was the favorite. Dominique Wilkins was competing.
And Larry Nance won the thing. With a pretty cool dunk.
I’m pretty sure the dunks themselves have not gotten much better (if at all), it’s just now they need to be accompanied by showmanship. Like jumping over a car.
Enjoy this little video appetizer to start your weekend.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13