Chris Bosh says he is getting used to playing center

Sep 14, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

Chris Bosh is going to play center for the Miami Heat this season, maybe at the start of games certainly at the end of them. When the Heat get serious, he is their five.

It’s not what Bosh wanted — he did that a lot in Toronto but the experience wasn’t positive. In Miami, however, it led to a title. Winning cures all ills.

So Bosh is adjusting to being back at center, he told Justin Verrier at ESPN’s TrueHoop.

“It’s becoming natural to me,” Bosh told ESPN.com on Thursday. “I have a very unique opportunity to do something very special for myself and my team. I think all the time that you have to evolve and get better. This is me evolving as a player.”

Playing the five spot in the Heat’s offense is anything but traditional, however. Yes, he’ll get touches on the low block, but his ability to hit threes — his versatility — is what makes him dangerous. The entire Heat offense is versatile and therefor harder to cover.

“We’re such a unique team,” Bosh said. “We have such great guys that are very talented. It’s just all over the place — I may be at the top of the key, I might be in the corner, I might be on the block, I might be on the wing. I prepare for everything.”

What is going to make Miami better this season is they know who they are. Yes, it doesn’t hurt to add Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis to stretch the floor (we saw what happened in Game 5 of the finals when Mike Miller was knocking down threes, the Heat because unstoppable). More importantly, the injuries that slowed Dwyane Wade and Bosh in the playoffs are gone.

But the biggest change is Miami has its identity. They have bought into the versatility, the small ball, the pressure defense. Teams that know who they are become much more difficult to beat. And the Heat have done that.

Bosh has done that. Even if it means he’s back at center.

1. cantonbound13 - Sep 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Bosh would only be 6-5 if his neck was the normal length.

2. lakerluver - Sep 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

^^ Good one, dude looks like a giraffe!! He’d better get used to abuse because D12’s gonna give it to him!!

• miamatt - Sep 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM

More like D12 will be pulled out to the 3-point line while James and Wade dunk with impunity. And Dwight isn’t exactly the type of center who dominates offensively- Shaq could get 30 and 15 even while missing 12 free throws.

3. charlutes - Sep 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Chris Bosh says he’s getting used to not doing anything and still winning. Congrats Bosh, you left Toronto and Lebron won a ring and had you fitted.

4. nbascreed - Sep 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

You realize that if Bosh doesn’t comeback they likely lose to Boston.

5. fanz928 - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Man shaq get 30 15 because all his shots is dunks and he has the ball about 80 percent

• miamatt - Sep 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Exactly my point. Howard can’t dominate mismatches the way Shaq could; D12 isn’t a guy who can be the centerpiece to a dominant offense. Leave Shaq (in his prime) 1 on 1 all game and he dunks his way to 40 at a minimum. Howard might get 30, on a good day. Howard’s biggest contributions come on defense and the glass, and unless Miami has somebody like Joel Anthony in the game, he’ll have to guard a shooter.

And as for your comment, it’s about 80 percent literate.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches