Sep 14, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
Chris Bosh is going to play center for the Miami Heat this season, maybe at the start of games certainly at the end of them. When the Heat get serious, he is their five.
It’s not what Bosh wanted — he did that a lot in Toronto but the experience wasn’t positive. In Miami, however, it led to a title. Winning cures all ills.
So Bosh is adjusting to being back at center, he told Justin Verrier at ESPN’s TrueHoop.
“It’s becoming natural to me,” Bosh told ESPN.com on Thursday. “I have a very unique opportunity to do something very special for myself and my team. I think all the time that you have to evolve and get better. This is me evolving as a player.”
Playing the five spot in the Heat’s offense is anything but traditional, however. Yes, he’ll get touches on the low block, but his ability to hit threes — his versatility — is what makes him dangerous. The entire Heat offense is versatile and therefor harder to cover.
“We’re such a unique team,” Bosh said. “We have such great guys that are very talented. It’s just all over the place — I may be at the top of the key, I might be in the corner, I might be on the block, I might be on the wing. I prepare for everything.”
What is going to make Miami better this season is they know who they are. Yes, it doesn’t hurt to add Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis to stretch the floor (we saw what happened in Game 5 of the finals when Mike Miller was knocking down threes, the Heat because unstoppable). More importantly, the injuries that slowed Dwyane Wade and Bosh in the playoffs are gone.
But the biggest change is Miami has its identity. They have bought into the versatility, the small ball, the pressure defense. Teams that know who they are become much more difficult to beat. And the Heat have done that.
Bosh has done that. Even if it means he’s back at center.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5