Brandon Roy expects to be his old self with Timberwolves

Sep 14, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT

Brandon Roy AP

Brandon Roy has no doubt he will be the old Brandon Roy in Minnesota — the All-Star, one of the game’s best players, a guy who was able to control and impact the outcome of games night after night.

The rest of us are hesitant, we saw the Roy of his final couple years in Portland battling knee problems. By problems, we mean all the cartilage being gone. Problems that forced him to step away from the game.

Roy is never hesitant. He doesn’t know any other way than to compete all out, and in speaking with the Minnesota media he sounded like his old self. The quotes are from the Pioneer Press (hat tip to SLAM).

“I’ve had no setbacks,” the three-time NBA all-star told reporters Thursday, Sept. 13, after an informal practice with teammates and several former college players. “There’s nothing stopping me from getting back to my old game. It just takes work and getting my rhythm back….

“I want to come in and make an impact right away,” Roy said. “I want to be ready to deliver. A lot of people think I’m going to be limited. I tell them, ‘Go ahead and think that way.’ I’m not cautious about anything. I’m confident everything will go well.”

Roy admitted the Minnesota coaches are trying to hold him back, to slow him down and let his body rest and catch up with where his mind wants it to be.

The real test starts with training camp, followed by the season — when the grind of physical exertion day after day will experimental procedures Roy had done on his knees. The NBA season is a marathon, not a sprint, and we have no idea yet how Roy’s body will hold up.

But if nobody else believes in Roy, Roy does. And he doesn’t believe anything can hold him back.

1. lakerluver - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I hope he is his old self. Dude, had serious game!!

2. nbascreed - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Can someone explain to me how this works? He had no cartilage which affected his ability to run fast and jump which in turn affected his ability to compete at the NBA Level. He retired for this express purpose. He didn’t get any new cartilage, yet he will return to form of yore? I like Roy, but even the “comeback” game against Dallas was full of kludgy buckets that won’t be replicated night in, night out.

I’m really hoping the Wolves have a plan for him that doesn’t include him being one of their Top 3 players. If he is, they’re in trouble.

• pacific123ocean - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy. I am not a doctor, nor a professional athlete, so I cannot say if it works or not, but PRP is what he had done.

• eventhorizon04 - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM

He underwent a treatment that reduces inflammation (swelling), which in turn reduces pain. It’s the same knee treatment Kobe had in Germany.

However, the procedure does NOT allow the body to rebuild cartilage.

So there’s two possibilities.
      1. The one Roy hopes for is that his pain was mainly due to inflammation, and with careful monitoring plus the knee treatments he received, he can continue to play at or near his former elite level despite the lack of cartilage.

2. The alternative is that the pain was relieved through a combination of the knee treatment PLUS Roy reverting to non-NBA life. What that means is that the same knee problems that cropped up before will bother him again due to the daily grind of the NBA, and while knee treatments will temporarily alleviate pain, his knee problems will be chronic and will hamper his effectiveness.

It’s a risk. Minnesota is taking the risk because if he can play even at 85% of his former level, they’re still getting one of the better guards in the NBA, and if he somehow makes it back to 100%, they have an elite shooting guard.

3. minnesotablizzard - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM

If Roy comes back even at 75% and the Russians (Shved and AK-47) play well I don’t think Kahn can keep getting trashed the way he does by all the bloggers. They just wish they could go from Journalist to GM like Kahn did; hell we all wish that.

• packers84075 - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

For your sake, I hope you’re right but being a Jazz fan and having watched AK play for almost 10 years, it’s not, if he plays well, it’s if he can make it through a full season, I believe he averaged about 60-63 games a year, he was good when he played, he just didn’t play enough, good luck this year

4. btwicey - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Great signing love this guy

5. pacific123ocean - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Really looking forward to watching the Timberwolves. Roy is a great person and in addition to what he brings on the court, he will be a positive leader in the locker room. And, addition by subtraction with Beasley finally gone!

6. eventhorizon04 - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The thing is, his problems stemmed from the grind of the NBA’s schedule.

I think he’ll be close to the old Roy in game 1. The real question is, will he be close to the old Roy in game 70?

If yes, the Timberwolves are a sneaky-good team with a well-balanced roster.

7. eugenesaxe - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Gee, he feels great after such a short period of activity? Call me at season’s end, when he’s already been shut down a few weeks.
    He may be able to play short bursts w/ sufficient rest breaks, but if he thinks he’ll be an All-Star again…well, you keep on dreaming, big guy. Everyone needs a goal, no matter how unreachable.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches