Sep 14, 2012, 2:49 PM EST
Brandon Roy has no doubt he will be the old Brandon Roy in Minnesota — the All-Star, one of the game’s best players, a guy who was able to control and impact the outcome of games night after night.
The rest of us are hesitant, we saw the Roy of his final couple years in Portland battling knee problems. By problems, we mean all the cartilage being gone. Problems that forced him to step away from the game.
Roy is never hesitant. He doesn’t know any other way than to compete all out, and in speaking with the Minnesota media he sounded like his old self. The quotes are from the Pioneer Press (hat tip to SLAM).
“I’ve had no setbacks,” the three-time NBA all-star told reporters Thursday, Sept. 13, after an informal practice with teammates and several former college players. “There’s nothing stopping me from getting back to my old game. It just takes work and getting my rhythm back….
“I want to come in and make an impact right away,” Roy said. “I want to be ready to deliver. A lot of people think I’m going to be limited. I tell them, ‘Go ahead and think that way.’ I’m not cautious about anything. I’m confident everything will go well.”
Roy admitted the Minnesota coaches are trying to hold him back, to slow him down and let his body rest and catch up with where his mind wants it to be.
The real test starts with training camp, followed by the season — when the grind of physical exertion day after day will experimental procedures Roy had done on his knees. The NBA season is a marathon, not a sprint, and we have no idea yet how Roy’s body will hold up.
But if nobody else believes in Roy, Roy does. And he doesn’t believe anything can hold him back.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 6
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 2
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 18
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 48
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12