Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady is auditioning for jobs.
Like a lot of veterans he is finding the financial realities of the new CBA are keeping teams from guaranteeing contracts for veterans, so he is out there working it trying to find a team that will sign him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Still searching for an NBA franchise willing to guarantee a contract for next season, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs this week at the team’s practice facility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Next up for McGrady on Thursday is a workout for the New York Knicks, league sources said.
Time is running out for the 33-year-old McGrady to secure a guaranteed contract for the season. Sources say he will likely have to choose between accepting a “make-good” training-camp invite or going overseas – perhaps to China.
The days of McGrady as an elite — or even good — scorer are gone, he averaged just 5.2 points per game for the Hawks last season, playing 16 minutes a game. But he played within himself like you expect of a veteran and didn’t make a lot of mistakes. He still could provide solid minutes off the bench for a team.
His problem is the guaranteed part — he wants that kind of deal, as does Kenyon Martin and Derek Fisher and a host of other veterans still on the market. But teams are not handing those out now. For example, both Andray Blatche and Josh Childress had to accept make-good deals with the Nets.
Would McGrady put his ego aside and accept that, or would he rather go overseas?
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 2
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1