Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady is auditioning for jobs.
Like a lot of veterans he is finding the financial realities of the new CBA are keeping teams from guaranteeing contracts for veterans, so he is out there working it trying to find a team that will sign him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Still searching for an NBA franchise willing to guarantee a contract for next season, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs this week at the team’s practice facility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Next up for McGrady on Thursday is a workout for the New York Knicks, league sources said.
Time is running out for the 33-year-old McGrady to secure a guaranteed contract for the season. Sources say he will likely have to choose between accepting a “make-good” training-camp invite or going overseas – perhaps to China.
The days of McGrady as an elite — or even good — scorer are gone, he averaged just 5.2 points per game for the Hawks last season, playing 16 minutes a game. But he played within himself like you expect of a veteran and didn’t make a lot of mistakes. He still could provide solid minutes off the bench for a team.
His problem is the guaranteed part — he wants that kind of deal, as does Kenyon Martin and Derek Fisher and a host of other veterans still on the market. But teams are not handing those out now. For example, both Andray Blatche and Josh Childress had to accept make-good deals with the Nets.
Would McGrady put his ego aside and accept that, or would he rather go overseas?
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 52
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 31