Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady is auditioning for jobs.
Like a lot of veterans he is finding the financial realities of the new CBA are keeping teams from guaranteeing contracts for veterans, so he is out there working it trying to find a team that will sign him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Still searching for an NBA franchise willing to guarantee a contract for next season, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs this week at the team’s practice facility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Next up for McGrady on Thursday is a workout for the New York Knicks, league sources said.
Time is running out for the 33-year-old McGrady to secure a guaranteed contract for the season. Sources say he will likely have to choose between accepting a “make-good” training-camp invite or going overseas – perhaps to China.
The days of McGrady as an elite — or even good — scorer are gone, he averaged just 5.2 points per game for the Hawks last season, playing 16 minutes a game. But he played within himself like you expect of a veteran and didn’t make a lot of mistakes. He still could provide solid minutes off the bench for a team.
His problem is the guaranteed part — he wants that kind of deal, as does Kenyon Martin and Derek Fisher and a host of other veterans still on the market. But teams are not handing those out now. For example, both Andray Blatche and Josh Childress had to accept make-good deals with the Nets.
Would McGrady put his ego aside and accept that, or would he rather go overseas?
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31