Sep 13, 2012, 1:19 PM EST
Pretty much every NBA player has stories of wild nights out on the town. The kind of nights on the town that belong in a movie. Some players have a lot of those nights. They just don’t talk publically about them.
But Roy Hibbert did.
Hibbert was on the NBA Hang Time podcast with comedian/writer Chelsea Peretti and they talked about the night the two led a group of friends out on the town in Los Angeles. That would be the night the Pacers beat the Lakers and Kobe Bryant broke Hibbert’s nose. Didn’t slow him down, and he and Peretti described it. (The Basketball Jones does the transcription for us.)
Roy Hibbert: We went to Roscoe’s. I had never been to Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles. I know Snoop Dogg frequents that place a lot and I just wanted to go see celebrities. I felt that was the best place to go.
So myself, another person from the Pacers organization and Tyler Hansbrough, we met up with Chelsea and some of the writers. We ate and then we actually didn’t want the night to end. We heard there was a club across the street and it was Jamaican Gold Night. So we walk over there, we get a table — and it’s very hood, a very hood club, black people in there just acting crazy and everything like that…
Chelsea Peretti: And this is when I really come alive.
RH: Yeah, yeah. She was dancing. Seriously, she was in — you ever seen those old J Lo videos where she’s in the middle of the club, just dancing? That’s what she was. She was in control of her environment.
You need to listen to the entire thing, to hear him talk about more details including the guy dealing from a wheelchair.
By the way, Hibbert and Peretti know each other because he did some guest appearances on NBC’s Parks & Recreation and Peretti was a writer on that show.
And one other note to you not from Los Angeles — when you’re here, you need to go eat at Roscoe’s. For the food and the experience. That and Philippe’s. Those are two quintessential Los Angeles dining experiences (that are affordable).
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 6
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12