Sep 13, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
Pretty much every NBA player has stories of wild nights out on the town. The kind of nights on the town that belong in a movie. Some players have a lot of those nights. They just don’t talk publically about them.
But Roy Hibbert did.
Hibbert was on the NBA Hang Time podcast with comedian/writer Chelsea Peretti and they talked about the night the two led a group of friends out on the town in Los Angeles. That would be the night the Pacers beat the Lakers and Kobe Bryant broke Hibbert’s nose. Didn’t slow him down, and he and Peretti described it. (The Basketball Jones does the transcription for us.)
Roy Hibbert: We went to Roscoe’s. I had never been to Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles. I know Snoop Dogg frequents that place a lot and I just wanted to go see celebrities. I felt that was the best place to go.
So myself, another person from the Pacers organization and Tyler Hansbrough, we met up with Chelsea and some of the writers. We ate and then we actually didn’t want the night to end. We heard there was a club across the street and it was Jamaican Gold Night. So we walk over there, we get a table — and it’s very hood, a very hood club, black people in there just acting crazy and everything like that…
Chelsea Peretti: And this is when I really come alive.
RH: Yeah, yeah. She was dancing. Seriously, she was in — you ever seen those old J Lo videos where she’s in the middle of the club, just dancing? That’s what she was. She was in control of her environment.
You need to listen to the entire thing, to hear him talk about more details including the guy dealing from a wheelchair.
By the way, Hibbert and Peretti know each other because he did some guest appearances on NBC’s Parks & Recreation and Peretti was a writer on that show.
And one other note to you not from Los Angeles — when you’re here, you need to go eat at Roscoe’s. For the food and the experience. That and Philippe’s. Those are two quintessential Los Angeles dining experiences (that are affordable).
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 46
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23