Sep 13, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
We told you yesterday that Matt Barnes looked done with the Lakers but was close to a deal to stay in Los Angeles with the Clippers.
Now comes this tweet from Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated:
Source says Matt Barnes has informed the Clippers he will sign with them.
Nothing is ever final until ink is on paper, but this sounds like it will be a reality. And at a veteran minimum price this is a good value for the Clippers, if not a need.
The Clippers are now loaded at the wing spot — they have Jamal Crawford, Caron Butler and Grant Hill at the three, Chauncey Billups, Willie Green and Eric Bledsoe at the two (although Bledsoe plays a lot of backup point). Plus, Lamar Odom can play on the wing some. So good luck finding some minutes in there, Barnes. And have fun setting the rotations, Vinny Del Negro.
But Chris Paul was in on the recruiting of Barnes, and right now what Chris Paul wants — bringing Billups back, for example — he gets as they try to keep CP3 happy heading into next summer when he is a free agent.
The Clippers have depth, they made moves this season that will make them a better team. But the real key to their success will be DeAndre Jordan stepping up and how they deal with front line depth issues. Barnes is not a huge impact just because there are not that many wing minutes to go around.
Still, Barnes is a Clipper and at a minimum deal that is a nice pickup.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte