Sep 13, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
We told you yesterday that Matt Barnes looked done with the Lakers but was close to a deal to stay in Los Angeles with the Clippers.
Now comes this tweet from Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated:
Source says Matt Barnes has informed the Clippers he will sign with them.
Nothing is ever final until ink is on paper, but this sounds like it will be a reality. And at a veteran minimum price this is a good value for the Clippers, if not a need.
The Clippers are now loaded at the wing spot — they have Jamal Crawford, Caron Butler and Grant Hill at the three, Chauncey Billups, Willie Green and Eric Bledsoe at the two (although Bledsoe plays a lot of backup point). Plus, Lamar Odom can play on the wing some. So good luck finding some minutes in there, Barnes. And have fun setting the rotations, Vinny Del Negro.
But Chris Paul was in on the recruiting of Barnes, and right now what Chris Paul wants — bringing Billups back, for example — he gets as they try to keep CP3 happy heading into next summer when he is a free agent.
The Clippers have depth, they made moves this season that will make them a better team. But the real key to their success will be DeAndre Jordan stepping up and how they deal with front line depth issues. Barnes is not a huge impact just because there are not that many wing minutes to go around.
Still, Barnes is a Clipper and at a minimum deal that is a nice pickup.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61