Sep 13, 2012, 8:43 PM EDT
Since it is possible he will miss the start of the season, it is not a shock that he is going to miss the start of training camp and the first exhibition game. Frankly, it was expected.
But it is now official — Dwight Howard will not be ready to go for the Lakers first exhibition game, Oct. 7 in Fresno against Golden State, the Lakers announced on Thursday (hat tip to the OC Register).
You know Howard is bummed because nobody wants to miss out on a free trip to Fresno.
Howard has just begun workouts with longtime Lakers trainer Gary Vitti. No date is set for Howard’s return. The Lakers have said they wanted Howard to go slow and be 100 percent before he comes back. Which is the smart thing to do — it’s not about games in November it’s about games in June for the Lakers. They need him all the way back
Howard had back surgery after having to end last season early for the Orlando Magic due to back pain.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 8
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8