Sep 13, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Last season in Philly, the games started with Jrue Holiday as the point guard and decision maker. Then when Lou Williams came in off the bench gunning he shared those decision-making responsibilities.
Now Williams is gone to Atlanta. So who is going to be the guy with the ball in his hands when Holiday is resting?
Try Evan Turner. That is what coach Doug Collins told Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com.
“I have put a lot of thought into it and me and my coaches are ready to put our plans into action,” Collins said. “With losing Lou, we are going to have to have a guy who can handle the ball with that second unit. I mean we did sign Royal Ivey but depending who comes off the bench it could be based on matchups. I could sub for Jrue early in the game with another perimeter guy and let Evan play out the quarter and then come back with Jrue as the point guard with our second unit and let Evan rest. I think what you will see is Jrue and Evan playing point guard with the second unit based on night to night.”
Ivey is going to get some run but giving Evans more playmaking responsibilities seems the smart move.
Andrew Bynum is clearly an offensive focal point, but the Sixers need smart guards who read when to get him the ball and how to take advantage of defenses that overload to stop him.
Turner started to step up last season and his continued maturation is huge for Philly this season. It’s something to watch. He is going to get his shot.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 11
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13