Sep 13, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Last season in Philly, the games started with Jrue Holiday as the point guard and decision maker. Then when Lou Williams came in off the bench gunning he shared those decision-making responsibilities.
Now Williams is gone to Atlanta. So who is going to be the guy with the ball in his hands when Holiday is resting?
Try Evan Turner. That is what coach Doug Collins told Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com.
“I have put a lot of thought into it and me and my coaches are ready to put our plans into action,” Collins said. “With losing Lou, we are going to have to have a guy who can handle the ball with that second unit. I mean we did sign Royal Ivey but depending who comes off the bench it could be based on matchups. I could sub for Jrue early in the game with another perimeter guy and let Evan play out the quarter and then come back with Jrue as the point guard with our second unit and let Evan rest. I think what you will see is Jrue and Evan playing point guard with the second unit based on night to night.”
Ivey is going to get some run but giving Evans more playmaking responsibilities seems the smart move.
Andrew Bynum is clearly an offensive focal point, but the Sixers need smart guards who read when to get him the ball and how to take advantage of defenses that overload to stop him.
Turner started to step up last season and his continued maturation is huge for Philly this season. It’s something to watch. He is going to get his shot.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)