Sep 13, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
Last season in Philly, the games started with Jrue Holiday as the point guard and decision maker. Then when Lou Williams came in off the bench gunning he shared those decision-making responsibilities.
Now Williams is gone to Atlanta. So who is going to be the guy with the ball in his hands when Holiday is resting?
Try Evan Turner. That is what coach Doug Collins told Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com.
“I have put a lot of thought into it and me and my coaches are ready to put our plans into action,” Collins said. “With losing Lou, we are going to have to have a guy who can handle the ball with that second unit. I mean we did sign Royal Ivey but depending who comes off the bench it could be based on matchups. I could sub for Jrue early in the game with another perimeter guy and let Evan play out the quarter and then come back with Jrue as the point guard with our second unit and let Evan rest. I think what you will see is Jrue and Evan playing point guard with the second unit based on night to night.”
Ivey is going to get some run but giving Evans more playmaking responsibilities seems the smart move.
Andrew Bynum is clearly an offensive focal point, but the Sixers need smart guards who read when to get him the ball and how to take advantage of defenses that overload to stop him.
Turner started to step up last season and his continued maturation is huge for Philly this season. It’s something to watch. He is going to get his shot.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games