Derrick Rose breaks into tears while on stage at his new sneaker launch (VIDEO)

Sep 13, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT

CHICAGO — Derrick Rose was in Chicago Thursday for a huge media event to launch his latest signature basketball shoe from adidas, the D Rose 3. The unveiling of the shoes, the new logo, and the apparel collection were supposed to be the centers of attention, but a raw and authentic display of emotion from Rose himself was what ended up stealing the show.

About 25 minutes into the presentation, and after a video was shown — one in a series which chronicles his journey to make it back to the court after suffering a torn ACL in the first game of the playoffs last April — Rose found himself trying to hold back the tears as he was overcome with emotion.

At that point, adidas Vice President of Global Basketball Lawrence Norman expertly stepped in.

“I know it’s emotional,” Norman said. “You just have to understand that you’re inspiring millions of fans with your comeback. But the purpose of “The Return” goes both ways, because they’re inspiring you. Whether it’s communicating with you on Facebook or Twitter, or the millions and millions of hits on your videos. Inspiration goes both ways, so maybe you can tell us about some of the inspiration you’re getting from your fans.”

But Rose wasn’t yet ready.

After a good 30 seconds in a room that went silent, save for the fast-clicking sounds of the cameras that were being snapped repeatedly to capture this powerful moment, Rose began to speak.

“It’s truly a blessing,” Rose said, while still choking back the tears. “With all of the stuff that’s going on in this city, a kid from Englewood has got something positive going on. That makes me feel so good. This shoe is great; all this is great. But I can’t explain this. I can’t.  I went through so much. To have, like, true fans, that means a lot to me. And I know it means a lot to my family, because we’re not supposed to be here. At all. But God made the way.”

Rose is one of the most humble superstars the game has today; he spent parts of the presentation uncomfortably staring at the ground while his accomplishments were recited, and while praise was heaped upon his shoulders. When forced to think about the path he took to get to this elite level, it’s evident that even now, four years into his NBA career, he’s extremely grateful — both for the success he’s achieved thus far, and for those that continue to support him along the way.

“This is truly unreal,” he said. “I’m just happy that I have true fans out there.”

1. ihavenonickname - Sep 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Good Stuff. Gotta wish there were more guys like d rose in the L.

2. ksyeszir - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Every other star player should take some notes. True appreciation. Gotta respect d.rose

3. iam6thatthatiam - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Now it would nice if the price of those shoes could be affordable to those kids in the poverty areas of his up bringing now that would be worth some real tears to the fans.

4. money2long - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Just because of how Rose carries himself, you know in your mind this is as genuine as it gets. There’s no playing to the cameras, or no attempt to win over people, or sheer publicity. This is who he is, real. You can understand how much he cares for his city and how basketball is a saving grace for him.

5. wherezwaldo - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

No one better to lead the Bulls to glory after the Jordan era.

6. superseahawk - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

This guy is one of a kind, it’s great to see him be appreciative. Who knows what his future holds, but Chicago fans are fortunate to have Rose as the face of their franchise.

7. dhillca - Sep 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Zzzzzzzzzz

8. iam6thatthatiam - Sep 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Very nice story but would be even better if the price of those shoes would be and could be affordable to the low income youth that look up to the players that make yall rich from the areas and upbringing that most stars come from. Now that would be worth happy tears.

9. cosanostra71 - Sep 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM

the more I learn about him the more I like him. becoming easily one of my favorite players in the NBA

10. doctorfootball - Sep 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

He was crying because he realized once again all the top teams in the East got better while his got worse. They’re a sixth seed at best.

• nycalldayz - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

cold. lol

11. lakerluver - Sep 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This dude is absolutely the best thing the NBA has going for it. Maybe he’s not the face of the league (and probably doesn’t even want to be) but he “should” be!! I hope he comes back twice the player he was before his injury.

• money2long - Sep 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

twice the player!? that’d just be unfair !!

12. realtalk108 - Sep 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

created an account just to comment on this video. watching D Rose the last few years and now seeing this video, you can’t help but wish the best for this guy. One of the most humble athletes i’ve seen. agree with lakerluver in that he should be the face of the league.

13. nbascreed - Sep 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I love this dude.

14. AlohaMrHand - Sep 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Are his sneakers 300 dollars as well,?

• bils293 - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM

no, because the demand for his shoes isn’t the same as the demand for lebrons, or kds, or kobes. his shoes could be $100 and would still sell less then the three names above.

15. kenyanteg123 - Sep 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Man, this brought tears to my eyes. I’ve noticed how humble Derrick Rose is and he’s just such a cool dude. I wish there were more people like him in all sports. Chad, T.O., and the rest of these flashy stars should take notes and learn how to truly appreciate being successful. I hope he makes a full recovery and comes back even better.

16. cheers4ablumpkin - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Ha maybe that’s why he’s one of my fav players in the nba

17. jagwar73 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Team player and a person of values. Leader. Loyal. Are you watching any of this Dwight Howard?

18. fnc111 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM

It’s too bad his career will never be the same. We got a chance to see something amazing on the court again in chi town even if only for a few seasons. I dislike Obama but Rose is the man.

19. glink123 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

$158

20. fnc111 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM

The tears are probably for the guilt he feels as he sits on the sidelines stealing money from a team and shoe company.

• progress2011 - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Friggin No Commonsense111…..is that your attempt at “making a funny” . If he had a questionable injury or medical issue (headache or stomach pain etc) that can’t be proven, you may have a legitimate argument.

However, since his injuries are visible to the naked eye, while watching the game (his knee actually buckled in an un-natural manner) and that was proven by professional imaging, confirmed my medical doctors.

In light of all of that evidence, your comments are not funny and in-fact prove that your initials confirm your mental aptitude….fnc = Friggin No Commonsense !!!

21. nygdriveforfive - Sep 14, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Meanwhile, Beasley is crying to but its because he has smoke in his eyes.

22. progress2011 - Sep 14, 2012 at 12:20 AM

DUDE !!!! Americans are probably the most arrogant people on the planet. When traveling abroad, you can always pick them out because they are usually loud and obnoxious, when others are calm and poised.

We live in a culture where billionaires run the world. Lifestyles of the rich and famous, HGTV Million dollar rooms etc. etc. etc.

Mr. Rose is one of the most humble millionaires you may ever find. I typically don’t spend my hard earned money on propaganda from millionaire, spoiled athletes, celebrity type folk.

But Mr. Rose’s wealth will increase by an additional $150(?) X 3 because I plan to purchase a pair of his shoes for each of my family members.

I support people that represent humanity well and are humble in it. I’m officially on his band wagon.

23. monkeyhateclean - Sep 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM

An NBA player does a PR event to sell shoes = PBT readers venerate him.

I find the whole shoe fetish/infatuation/adoration so many NBA fans have to be very peculiar and the cultural value they apply to shoes/shoe brands as status symbols fascinatingly sad.

They are shoes. They don’t make you better at basketball. They don’t make you better in the sack. I hate to employ a gender stereotype, because I know many women aren’t the catty, superficial morons Sex And The City would have you believe, but dudes being really, really, REALLY into shoes is rather effeminate. NTTAWWT.

• jawday - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Umm… you realize the way that D.Rose is revered has nothing to do with the shoe, right? The venue isn’t what makes him a humble and appreciative human being and that’s what he’s being adored for.

24. rodge1 - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM

D Rose was really crying because he wanted to dance at the All Star Game but didn’t know how.

25. magicbucs - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I’m a magic fan, not a bulls fan but now I’m a rose fan for sure. Kid has heart and it shows.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches