Sep 12, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
If you ask close observers who the smartest, best coach on the international circuit is you usually hear the name David Blatt.
The average fan may not know him from the guy walking his dog down their street, but those fans know the powerhouse EuroLeague team he coaches (Maccabi Tel Aviv) and they know he coached the Russians up to the bronze medal in the London Olympics.
The head coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv and Russian National Basketball Team David Blatt may become the assistant coach of the Atlanta Hawks. Larry Drew has come to Israel today to watch and analyze Blatt’s work with Israel’s champions.
This would be a smart hire by the Hawks. It gives them a quality coach on Drew’s bench and potentially a future head coach if management ever decides to go that direction (and Blatt sticks).
That said, Blatt may or may not come. He has carved out a nice — and lucrative — career in Europe. He likes living in Israel. Not everyone will fall over themselves just to get any NBA job.
But it’s something to watch. And a smart play by the Hawks whether it works out or not.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3