Sep 12, 2012, 3:53 PM EST
I don’t really think this means O.J. Mayo wants to bring in an eccentric old German guy to make him take one footed jumpers from all over the court, I think we can safely say we’re talking about work ethic here.
But Mayo told Mavs.com blogger Bryan Gutierrez (at Mavsfastbreak.com) that he wants to emulate Dirk Nowitzki’s workouts.
Mayo stepped up as a leader during those workouts as he helped the rookies build the right mindset as they get ready for their first season in the league. Mayo was in for a surprise though as he saw there was another player working: Dirk….
“It was crazy,” Mayo said with a smile. “I came in early and I knew the young guys would be here because they’re supposed to come in a little early before the veteran guys. I looked up and Big D was in here and that was crazy. I just really respect his work ethic and his resume and what he’s done in this league. He’s a Hall-of-Fame player in this league. I’m happy to come here and go to war alongside him.”
It’s one of those things it takes guys, even talented guys like Mayo, a while to learn in the NBA — the best guys work harder than you. It was true of Larry Bird’s shooting routines. It was true of Michael Jordan. Ask LeBron James and other young 2008 Olympians what they learned in Beijing and the first thing they say was how hard Kobe Bryant worked on his body and his game.
Nowitzki is one of those guys. You do not develop that arsenal of shots playing Xbox all summer.
If some of that rubs off on Mayo, if his game sharpens and he finds a better fit in Dallas, he could be happy he’s only on a one year deal — because he would get paid next summer. But we’re a long way from that. He’s got to prove it.
However, there’s an example in front of him.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11