Sep 12, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Jason Kidd showed up in a New York courtroom Wednesday to face a DWI charge from just after he signed with the Knicks in July. His SUV crashed into a telephone pole in the Hamptons and that led to his arrest and the charges.
Charges Kidd will fight, his attorney told the court and reporters, according to the Associated Press.
When asked about the allegations, attorney Edward Burke Jr. told reporters, “We are defending that.”
“He is taking this very, very seriously,” Burke said. “He wants to get this past him as quickly as possible. The legal process takes some time but he is ready for his season.”
There were no actions on this first court appearance. Kidd’s next scheduled court date is Nov. 7, an off day for the Knicks when they should be back in New York.
Kidd left Dallas (and left Mark Cuban frustrated) to sign a one-year deal with the Knicks. He will be a backup point guard to Raymond Felton.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 46
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3