Sep 12, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Jason Kidd showed up in a New York courtroom Wednesday to face a DWI charge from just after he signed with the Knicks in July. His SUV crashed into a telephone pole in the Hamptons and that led to his arrest and the charges.
Charges Kidd will fight, his attorney told the court and reporters, according to the Associated Press.
When asked about the allegations, attorney Edward Burke Jr. told reporters, “We are defending that.”
“He is taking this very, very seriously,” Burke said. “He wants to get this past him as quickly as possible. The legal process takes some time but he is ready for his season.”
There were no actions on this first court appearance. Kidd’s next scheduled court date is Nov. 7, an off day for the Knicks when they should be back in New York.
Kidd left Dallas (and left Mark Cuban frustrated) to sign a one-year deal with the Knicks. He will be a backup point guard to Raymond Felton.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14