Sep 12, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Jason Kidd showed up in a New York courtroom Wednesday to face a DWI charge from just after he signed with the Knicks in July. His SUV crashed into a telephone pole in the Hamptons and that led to his arrest and the charges.
Charges Kidd will fight, his attorney told the court and reporters, according to the Associated Press.
When asked about the allegations, attorney Edward Burke Jr. told reporters, “We are defending that.”
“He is taking this very, very seriously,” Burke said. “He wants to get this past him as quickly as possible. The legal process takes some time but he is ready for his season.”
There were no actions on this first court appearance. Kidd’s next scheduled court date is Nov. 7, an off day for the Knicks when they should be back in New York.
Kidd left Dallas (and left Mark Cuban frustrated) to sign a one-year deal with the Knicks. He will be a backup point guard to Raymond Felton.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5