Sep 12, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Jason Kidd showed up in a New York courtroom Wednesday to face a DWI charge from just after he signed with the Knicks in July. His SUV crashed into a telephone pole in the Hamptons and that led to his arrest and the charges.
Charges Kidd will fight, his attorney told the court and reporters, according to the Associated Press.
When asked about the allegations, attorney Edward Burke Jr. told reporters, “We are defending that.”
“He is taking this very, very seriously,” Burke said. “He wants to get this past him as quickly as possible. The legal process takes some time but he is ready for his season.”
There were no actions on this first court appearance. Kidd’s next scheduled court date is Nov. 7, an off day for the Knicks when they should be back in New York.
Kidd left Dallas (and left Mark Cuban frustrated) to sign a one-year deal with the Knicks. He will be a backup point guard to Raymond Felton.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49