Sep 12, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Jason Kidd showed up in a New York courtroom Wednesday to face a DWI charge from just after he signed with the Knicks in July. His SUV crashed into a telephone pole in the Hamptons and that led to his arrest and the charges.
Charges Kidd will fight, his attorney told the court and reporters, according to the Associated Press.
When asked about the allegations, attorney Edward Burke Jr. told reporters, “We are defending that.”
“He is taking this very, very seriously,” Burke said. “He wants to get this past him as quickly as possible. The legal process takes some time but he is ready for his season.”
There were no actions on this first court appearance. Kidd’s next scheduled court date is Nov. 7, an off day for the Knicks when they should be back in New York.
Kidd left Dallas (and left Mark Cuban frustrated) to sign a one-year deal with the Knicks. He will be a backup point guard to Raymond Felton.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 0
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 23
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 45
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 54
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23