Sep 12, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Usually teams go young, looking at rookies with potential to round out their final couple roster spots. They Nets got potential but they went another direction — they snatched up two athletic players coming off contracts they did not live up to, two guys amnestied by their former teams.
Josh Childress and Andray Blatche are both expected to sign non-guaranteed deals with the Nets in the coming days, as has been previously reported. Non-guaranteed deals are the kind given to guys who are training camp fodder, the contract means the team can cut them without repercussions, just a little buyout.
But expect these two to make the team, reports Howard Beck at the New York Times.
Blatche and Childress will be the 14th and 15th players under contract. Although the Nets will sign another few players for training camp, team officials expect Blatche and Childress to stick.
“He thinks that he can help the team,” said Childress’s agent, Chris Emens. “The team thinks Josh can help them. This team obviously has got one of the strongest starting fives in the East, if not the whole N.B.A. For them to probably achieve their potential and their long-term goals, it’s critical that they have a strong bench, as well.”
Both are on one-year minimum deals (both make just over $1 million) which is great for the Nets — even if things go south they are not that expensive and only a one-year commitment. It’s a good gamble on two guys with potential who will feel the pressure to start to live up to it. These are good gambles for the bench.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3