Sep 12, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Usually teams go young, looking at rookies with potential to round out their final couple roster spots. They Nets got potential but they went another direction — they snatched up two athletic players coming off contracts they did not live up to, two guys amnestied by their former teams.
Josh Childress and Andray Blatche are both expected to sign non-guaranteed deals with the Nets in the coming days, as has been previously reported. Non-guaranteed deals are the kind given to guys who are training camp fodder, the contract means the team can cut them without repercussions, just a little buyout.
But expect these two to make the team, reports Howard Beck at the New York Times.
Blatche and Childress will be the 14th and 15th players under contract. Although the Nets will sign another few players for training camp, team officials expect Blatche and Childress to stick.
“He thinks that he can help the team,” said Childress’s agent, Chris Emens. “The team thinks Josh can help them. This team obviously has got one of the strongest starting fives in the East, if not the whole N.B.A. For them to probably achieve their potential and their long-term goals, it’s critical that they have a strong bench, as well.”
Both are on one-year minimum deals (both make just over $1 million) which is great for the Nets — even if things go south they are not that expensive and only a one-year commitment. It’s a good gamble on two guys with potential who will feel the pressure to start to live up to it. These are good gambles for the bench.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9