Sep 11, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
We’re passing this along, but we’re not sure you’re going to see D.J. Mbenga in the NBA next year.
There are a few reasons to sprinkle this report liberally with salt. First is the fact it’s coming out of France and not a Dallas or even Domestic source — why would they get this news first? Second, Mbenga didn’t play in the NBA last year so it’s unlikely he get any kind of guaranteed deal.
Finally, the Mavericks have a crowded roster without a lot of minutes and roster spots to be handing out.
If they gave Mbenga a deal, it likely is a make-good contract where he would get a camp invite but with little shot of making the team.
Mbenga did play with the Mavericks from 2004-07. Not sure that really matters, though.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 23
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 22
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2