Report: Nets, Lakers, Suns talking to Leandro Barbosa

Sep 11, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT

Leandro Barbosa, Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Anybody looking for a backup point guard? Leandro Barbosa is still on the market.

He’s one of those guys who thinks he deserves more but is likely only going to see veteran minimum offers. Welcome to the new CBA. But some teams are talking to him, the Brazilian guard told UOL Esporte, a publication in his native country (translation via Hoopshype).

“Among others, I’m talking with Phoenix, the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Lakers. Steve Nash even texted me because he wants me there.”

Steve Nash may want him, and I’ll give you he is a better backup point guard than Steve Blake for the Lakers, but the Lakers already have a $99 million payroll and are not going to be adding anything but minimum contracts to it. And probably not even those.

Barbosa says later in the interview he would play for the veteran minimum on a contender. If he can’t land an NBA gig, he says he would want to play in Brazil this season. But his contract would be such that an NBA team could call him up.

I bet someone picks him up before the season. Just not at the price he and his agent want.

1. money2long - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

What a perfect summer it would be if the Lakers found a way to add Barbosa to the mix.

2. cosanostra71 - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

it would be pretty cool if the Lakers got him, but it would also mean a huge payroll, so I won’t be surprised if he goes somewhere else!

3. ambitoos - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

He says he’ll play for the minimum for a contender. If that’s true, he’s a laker.

4. sdboltaction - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Looks like he’ll be a Laker then!

5. manotas211 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I hope the Lakers do pick up Barbosa. He is by far a better backup then Steve Blake. He is also Buddy’s with Nash. Hopefully he does and they get rid of Blake .

6. eventhorizon04 - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Phoenix could offer him the most money out of all of them.

Lakers have been interested in him for awhile. If it was as simple as, “I’ll take the minimum to play for a contender, I don’t care about money,” he’d be a Laker already. The fact that Nash has to send him texts to recruit him makes it clear that’s he’s asking for more money.

Remember – he’s only 29, and hasn’t exactly had huge contracts in the past, so that’s a little early in his career to settle for veteran’s minimum. I see him as a member of the Suns.

7. cmehustle - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Lol @ Laker fans. Yea sure he’d love to play for LA and play 10 minutes a night for the league minimum!

• 00maltliquor - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Steve F’ing Blake plays 22-24+ min. a night give or take. Barbosa would certainly take all of those away from him, and then some. The only way The Brazilian Blur gets 10 min. a night is if he fouls out or gets ejected before his 11th min. of action! Believe that!

• gundersonrogers - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Blake playED 22-24 minutes LAST YEAR.
        Not likely Steve Blake will replace Steve Nash for 50% of each Laker game this year.

–but if Barbosa joins the Lake Show, he will likely get more than 10 minutes. Remember, Nash needs rest throughout the season to be ready for the playoffs.

8. lakerryan - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I think the lakers are trying to find all the players who don’t play defense well and add them to the team lol. No but he would be a nice pick up for the minimum cost for sure

9. lakerluver - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Go West, young man! And I ain’t talkin bout Phoenix.

10. lakerluver - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Why the Blake hatred? I think he’s an adequate back up pg. But I guess at this stage of Nash’s career evidently the LAKERS need more than an adequate backup.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Why all the Blake hatred??

LL my dude, respectfully, I ask you…..are you watching the same damn games as me and the rest of Laker Nation?? I watch EVERY game. Even DVR the games I can’t watch live.

My close friend and fellow Laker commrade used to say the same thing you say about Blake, until I had him come over to watch the games I had to record because of work. Time and time again I would show him and rewind all Blake plays. Turnovers galore. Missed wipe open trey bombs over and over and over again. Bad plays, almost all Steve Blake led runs up the court ended up in either no points or turnovers. 20+ min. of absolutly NOTHING resembeling contribution from him, coming up small in the clutch, ALWAYS the worst offender of the +/- stat by games end. Anytime the Lakers would be up by a good to large margin, SB would get subbed in and by the time he got subbed out the Lakers would have either got the lead cut by 2 or trailing by doule figures, ALL THE TIME. I mean, I could go on and on but my blood is boiling just reminiscing about it.

Maybe last year was just not his year and hopefully we never see the complete crap that that man put forth on a nightly basis, but I encourage you to watch CLOSELY like I had my friend do and examine and break down SB’s body of work and remember all my points I made and if he picks up where he left off last year, you will see. I have NEVER hated any other Laker player since Kwame Brown as I do Steve Flake’s b***h-made a__! But just watch. DVR games and rewind and study. You will see.

• gundersonrogers - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM

00,

Agreed –though you are a bit harsh.

But think about this: with Blake, Lakers were better off than with Derek Fisher.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Lakers fans love Derek Fisher to the point they don’t see how terrible he was the last couple years. Blake is and was better.

• loungefly74 - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

i dont know kurt. at least Fisher knocked down some big shots every now and then.

@malt…that was an epic rant. Blake, himself, would cry if he read that!

11. isujames - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

F the Lakers and all their fanatics.Heat all day!!!!!!!!!!!

• loungefly74 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM

isujames…its all good. i like that Laker fans, such as me, have people who hate us and the team. i look forward to the challenge…heck, i hope we meet in the Finals. Your Heat are the top dog…flex your muscles while you can…its all good.

• eventhorizon04 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I’m not a Laker fan, but I wish I had an option to flag comments like this.

Really – what kind of idiot goes to a news post and says, “F- the Lakers!!!! YEah!!!!!!!”

• flush000 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Yea the heat do suck all day don’t they.

• mazblast - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM

What the Heat do in their private time is their business.

12. pop562 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

16 lakers championships over the heats measly 2 championships.

• eventhorizon04 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yep, because championships won in the 1970’s and 1980’s are really relevant when talking about the upcoming season…

• jjordannba - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Well if you just want to talk about recent championships then the Lakers still lead 2-1

• danfrommv - Sep 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM

What are you, 2 years old? The only championships that matter are the ones from 201X?

• pop562 - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

ok the lakers won a title in 2009 and 2010….is that relevant enough for you baby girl? lol

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Sep 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Real champions get to defend their crown.

Lakers repeated. The Heat?

One-Heat Wonders.

How’s that for relevance?

13. paulhargis53 - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

malt: lakerluver doesnt understand the game in real time, now you’re asking him to analyze game tape?!?!

Cmon dude, you’ve seen this guy type.
    He couldn’t find his ass with both hands and a fleshlight- yes fleshlight!
    And you want him to study tape….priceless!!

14. purplerain53 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Talking about the Lakers payrol.
    We all have to admit one simple thing, which Dr.Buss found out many years ago.No NBA team can win it all, if it is under the salary cup or even near it. It is proven formula. You have to invest big money to achive your goals and then you will get back (even double) your investments.In this situation with Leandro Barbosa, L.A.Lakers have two choices.They can acquire the brazilian phantom with the veteran’s minimum ( if he accept it ) or with our mini mid-level exception of $ 3.0 millions.In that case, it is imperative to make a trade, to open some salary room. St.Blake is up to take $ 4.0 mil. this season. M.Kupchak can trade him to the Portland or any other team for a first round pic or even a couple of second rounders. But first, he has to sign-in Barbosa, before someone else take him. With Leandro in our team, I can’t see who can stop the Lakers from winning another 2-3 titles. Just look how we are going to looks.

PG – Steve Nash ( Leandro Barbosa )
    SG – Kobe Bryant ( Jodie Meeks )
    SF – M W P ( Earl Clark )
    PF – Pau Gasol ( Antawn Jamison )
    C – Dwight Howard ( Jordan Hill )

• mazblast - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Look at the ages of some of those guys and you can see why the Lakers will be lucky to win even one more title*. That starting lineup has some heavy mileage on it, plus Howard’s coming off back surgery.

*Unless Stern orders it so in order to keep the money machine going.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches