Sep 11, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Anybody looking for a backup point guard? Leandro Barbosa is still on the market.
He’s one of those guys who thinks he deserves more but is likely only going to see veteran minimum offers. Welcome to the new CBA. But some teams are talking to him, the Brazilian guard told UOL Esporte, a publication in his native country (translation via Hoopshype).
“Among others, I’m talking with Phoenix, the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Lakers. Steve Nash even texted me because he wants me there.”
Steve Nash may want him, and I’ll give you he is a better backup point guard than Steve Blake for the Lakers, but the Lakers already have a $99 million payroll and are not going to be adding anything but minimum contracts to it. And probably not even those.
Barbosa says later in the interview he would play for the veteran minimum on a contender. If he can’t land an NBA gig, he says he would want to play in Brazil this season. But his contract would be such that an NBA team could call him up.
I bet someone picks him up before the season. Just not at the price he and his agent want.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85