Sep 11, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
I think I can speak for all Pacers fans who have listened to Reggie Miller analyze a basketball game on television when they say, “NOOOOOOO” to this idea.
But it is still out there. While speaking with Mike Wells of the Indy Star last weekend at the Hall of Fame (where Miller was inducted), the most famous Pacer said he is still open to the idea of joining the Pacers front office,
“I never close any doors,” Miller said. “I listen to everything. (Owner) Herb Simon and I have had this conversation before. So yes, if something presented itself, I would definitely look at it and go from there.”
Owner Herb Simon has always been fond of Miller and wanted him in the fold, and that hasn’t changed.
“I’m always interested,” Simon said. “Reggie would be a wonderful person to have in this franchise.”
Donnie Walsh is the current Pacers GM, having returned to the franchise. He was the GM before Larry Bird took over and has returned now that Bird has retired.
It’s not fair to extrapolate what kind of a GM Miller would make based solely on how he does as a color analyst on games. That said, he doesn’t come off a guy who evaluates the game or talent all that astutely on broadcasts. A player’s ability to drain clutch three pointers and the ability to build a team in a salary cap era are very different things. One does not translate to the other.
But this is out there in Indy. Still.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30