Sep 11, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
I think I can speak for all Pacers fans who have listened to Reggie Miller analyze a basketball game on television when they say, “NOOOOOOO” to this idea.
But it is still out there. While speaking with Mike Wells of the Indy Star last weekend at the Hall of Fame (where Miller was inducted), the most famous Pacer said he is still open to the idea of joining the Pacers front office,
“I never close any doors,” Miller said. “I listen to everything. (Owner) Herb Simon and I have had this conversation before. So yes, if something presented itself, I would definitely look at it and go from there.”
Owner Herb Simon has always been fond of Miller and wanted him in the fold, and that hasn’t changed.
“I’m always interested,” Simon said. “Reggie would be a wonderful person to have in this franchise.”
Donnie Walsh is the current Pacers GM, having returned to the franchise. He was the GM before Larry Bird took over and has returned now that Bird has retired.
It’s not fair to extrapolate what kind of a GM Miller would make based solely on how he does as a color analyst on games. That said, he doesn’t come off a guy who evaluates the game or talent all that astutely on broadcasts. A player’s ability to drain clutch three pointers and the ability to build a team in a salary cap era are very different things. One does not translate to the other.
But this is out there in Indy. Still.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32