Sep 11, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
I think I can speak for all Pacers fans who have listened to Reggie Miller analyze a basketball game on television when they say, “NOOOOOOO” to this idea.
But it is still out there. While speaking with Mike Wells of the Indy Star last weekend at the Hall of Fame (where Miller was inducted), the most famous Pacer said he is still open to the idea of joining the Pacers front office,
“I never close any doors,” Miller said. “I listen to everything. (Owner) Herb Simon and I have had this conversation before. So yes, if something presented itself, I would definitely look at it and go from there.”
Owner Herb Simon has always been fond of Miller and wanted him in the fold, and that hasn’t changed.
“I’m always interested,” Simon said. “Reggie would be a wonderful person to have in this franchise.”
Donnie Walsh is the current Pacers GM, having returned to the franchise. He was the GM before Larry Bird took over and has returned now that Bird has retired.
It’s not fair to extrapolate what kind of a GM Miller would make based solely on how he does as a color analyst on games. That said, he doesn’t come off a guy who evaluates the game or talent all that astutely on broadcasts. A player’s ability to drain clutch three pointers and the ability to build a team in a salary cap era are very different things. One does not translate to the other.
But this is out there in Indy. Still.
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 49
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 12
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 5