Sep 11, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
I think I can speak for all Pacers fans who have listened to Reggie Miller analyze a basketball game on television when they say, “NOOOOOOO” to this idea.
But it is still out there. While speaking with Mike Wells of the Indy Star last weekend at the Hall of Fame (where Miller was inducted), the most famous Pacer said he is still open to the idea of joining the Pacers front office,
“I never close any doors,” Miller said. “I listen to everything. (Owner) Herb Simon and I have had this conversation before. So yes, if something presented itself, I would definitely look at it and go from there.”
Owner Herb Simon has always been fond of Miller and wanted him in the fold, and that hasn’t changed.
“I’m always interested,” Simon said. “Reggie would be a wonderful person to have in this franchise.”
Donnie Walsh is the current Pacers GM, having returned to the franchise. He was the GM before Larry Bird took over and has returned now that Bird has retired.
It’s not fair to extrapolate what kind of a GM Miller would make based solely on how he does as a color analyst on games. That said, he doesn’t come off a guy who evaluates the game or talent all that astutely on broadcasts. A player’s ability to drain clutch three pointers and the ability to build a team in a salary cap era are very different things. One does not translate to the other.
But this is out there in Indy. Still.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30