Reggie Miller says he would consider Pacers front office job

Sep 11, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT

Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony Getty Images

I think I can speak for all Pacers fans who have listened to Reggie Miller analyze a basketball game on television when they say, “NOOOOOOO” to this idea.

But it is still out there. While speaking with Mike Wells of the Indy Star last weekend at the Hall of Fame (where Miller was inducted), the most famous Pacer said he is still open to the idea of joining the Pacers front office,

“I never close any doors,” Miller said. “I listen to everything. (Owner) Herb Simon and I have had this conversation before. So yes, if something presented itself, I would definitely look at it and go from there.”

Owner Herb Simon has always been fond of Miller and wanted him in the fold, and that hasn’t changed.

“I’m always interested,” Simon said. “Reggie would be a wonderful person to have in this franchise.”

Donnie Walsh is the current Pacers GM, having returned to the franchise. He was the GM before Larry Bird took over and has returned now that Bird has retired.

It’s not fair to extrapolate what kind of a GM Miller would make based solely on how he does as a color analyst on games. That said, he doesn’t come off a guy who evaluates the game or talent all that astutely on broadcasts. A player’s ability to drain clutch three pointers and the ability to build a team in a salary cap era are very different things. One does not translate to the other.

But this is out there in Indy. Still.

1. metalhead65 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

so the fact he is a hall of fame player means he has no business in the front office because others have failed right? but a guy with no playing experiance can become a expert by sitting behind a computer and writing a blog and worshipping lebron? I will take my chances with Reggie.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I don’t think I should be a GM. I have heard Reggie talk plenty about basketball, I don’t think he should be a GM. Doesn’t have anything to do with him as a player.

2. karlton2 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Maybe he can be the anti-Matt Millen; awful on tv, great in the front office.

• pudgalvin - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Miller is the only announcer in any sport that can actually make me stop watching a game when he’s calling it. He’s brutal in there.

3. freeagentsignee - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I agree Kurt.
    Good luck Reggie!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches