Sep 11, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
One of the best parts of athletes on twitter is that is can help break down the barrier between them and the fans that cheer them and ultimately pay their salary. It can be a glimpse into how a player thinks and acts (or, it can be a stated PR tool).
JaVale McGee, he’s trying to connect in Denver. The big man got a big contract this summer and he is trying to reach out to the folks of Denver, who were pretty good to him last year after Washington fans had pretty much reached their limit with him.
But it doesn’t always go that well, as Mile High Sports described what happened Monday (via Ball Don’t Lie).
McGee posted on his official twitter page today: “1st 10 people who meet me at chipotle in 5 mins get free meals! #OMM the one in Denver on 16th!”
It appears only one person showed to McGee’s burrito party, posting this picture with fan Andy Mathisen.
Denver, what is wrong with you — Chipotle makes a good burrito and the price was free. Heck, I’d hang out with the cast of Glee if I thought I could get a free burrito out of it… well, depends on how long I have to hang out. But you get the idea.
McGee was undaunted, tweeting on Tuesday that the first 10 people to meet him at a Noodles and Company where he was again buying meals. And based on the twitter response, people in Denver apparently like noodles better than burritos. That or they are catching on to the free food thing.
And they are catching on that McGee (and his alter ego Pierre) are a lot of fun. At least off the court. On the court he’ll still have to prove he’s worth that deal.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43