Sep 11, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
One of the best parts of athletes on twitter is that is can help break down the barrier between them and the fans that cheer them and ultimately pay their salary. It can be a glimpse into how a player thinks and acts (or, it can be a stated PR tool).
JaVale McGee, he’s trying to connect in Denver. The big man got a big contract this summer and he is trying to reach out to the folks of Denver, who were pretty good to him last year after Washington fans had pretty much reached their limit with him.
But it doesn’t always go that well, as Mile High Sports described what happened Monday (via Ball Don’t Lie).
McGee posted on his official twitter page today: “1st 10 people who meet me at chipotle in 5 mins get free meals! #OMM the one in Denver on 16th!”
It appears only one person showed to McGee’s burrito party, posting this picture with fan Andy Mathisen.
Denver, what is wrong with you — Chipotle makes a good burrito and the price was free. Heck, I’d hang out with the cast of Glee if I thought I could get a free burrito out of it… well, depends on how long I have to hang out. But you get the idea.
McGee was undaunted, tweeting on Tuesday that the first 10 people to meet him at a Noodles and Company where he was again buying meals. And based on the twitter response, people in Denver apparently like noodles better than burritos. That or they are catching on to the free food thing.
And they are catching on that McGee (and his alter ego Pierre) are a lot of fun. At least off the court. On the court he’ll still have to prove he’s worth that deal.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3