Sep 11, 2012, 2:23 PM EST
What else do you expect him to say?
You and I and even most Knicks fans realize they are not title contenders as presently constructed. How good they are this season depends on how Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire (and Tyson Chandler) mesh on offense. Because when all three were on the court together last season the Knicks offense was awful (95 points per 100 possessions).
When asked what fans could expect from the Knicks this season, Smith said frankly, “a championship.”
“Nothing less,” Smith said. “If we settle for anything less, we already start off losing.”
He’s right. The team needs to go in with this attitude.
On the outside we can make what should be more objective judgment of the talent and how it fits together, but in the locker room they need to believe it will work.
So, when Smith or a player says something like this, I kind of shrug.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 4
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 11
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 13
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 28
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7