J.R. Smith says Knicks expect “nothing less” than title

Sep 11, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT

New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith attempts to dunk the ball in their NBA basketball game against the Portland Trail Blazers in New York Reuters

What else do you expect him to say?

You and I and even most Knicks fans realize they are not title contenders as presently constructed. How good they are this season depends on how Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire (and Tyson Chandler) mesh on offense. Because when all three were on the court together last season the Knicks offense was awful (95 points per 100 possessions).

But the New York Post interviewed J.R. Smith at Fashion week and when asked how the Knicks would do he gave the only answer a player on a good team should give:

When asked what fans could expect from the Knicks this season, Smith said frankly, “a championship.”

“Nothing less,” Smith said. “If we settle for anything less, we already start off losing.”

He’s right. The team needs to go in with this attitude.

On the outside we can make what should be more objective judgment of the talent and how it fits together, but in the locker room they need to believe it will work.

So, when Smith or a player says something like this, I kind of shrug.

1. thestudiokida - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM

And I expect my clever PBT commentary to blossom into a salaried blogging career.

2. money2long - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

hey, but it all starts with belief, keep that in mind. it’s a long season.

3. miamatt - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM

As he should. How can you play sports and not believe? What would be the point? *yawn*

4. slumdog66 - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

First things first, keep your sister in check.

5. dls612 - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Not a fan but he do have a point! Why would failure be an option!

6. dysraw1 - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

every now and then a team bucks the odds makers and gets over the hump, so lets see how good our new editions make us. health & attitude will play roles in this. but i for one believe in my home town team

7. zacksdad - Sep 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Hey they currently are tied for first place, give them a chance.

8. lakerluver - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

And I expect nothing less than for Sofia Vergara to knock on my door in nothing but a raincoat and say, “take me, I’m yours”!!

9. raider2124 - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Did I miss something and Knicks were sold to the d-league.

10. paulhargis53 - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM

lakerluver, who are you trying to kid?!
    Everyone on here knows you meant Bam Margera(sp?)

11. manotas211 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM

J. R Smith is retarded to think that they can win it all. I don’t see them beating the Heat nor the Celtics. The Knicks will get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

12. hehateme2 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM

One can dream right? Or… did he get into the purple drank?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches