Sep 11, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
What else do you expect him to say?
You and I and even most Knicks fans realize they are not title contenders as presently constructed. How good they are this season depends on how Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire (and Tyson Chandler) mesh on offense. Because when all three were on the court together last season the Knicks offense was awful (95 points per 100 possessions).
When asked what fans could expect from the Knicks this season, Smith said frankly, “a championship.”
“Nothing less,” Smith said. “If we settle for anything less, we already start off losing.”
He’s right. The team needs to go in with this attitude.
On the outside we can make what should be more objective judgment of the talent and how it fits together, but in the locker room they need to believe it will work.
So, when Smith or a player says something like this, I kind of shrug.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49