Sep 11, 2012, 2:23 PM EST
What else do you expect him to say?
You and I and even most Knicks fans realize they are not title contenders as presently constructed. How good they are this season depends on how Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire (and Tyson Chandler) mesh on offense. Because when all three were on the court together last season the Knicks offense was awful (95 points per 100 possessions).
When asked what fans could expect from the Knicks this season, Smith said frankly, “a championship.”
“Nothing less,” Smith said. “If we settle for anything less, we already start off losing.”
He’s right. The team needs to go in with this attitude.
On the outside we can make what should be more objective judgment of the talent and how it fits together, but in the locker room they need to believe it will work.
So, when Smith or a player says something like this, I kind of shrug.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 7
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16