Sep 11, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
What else do you expect him to say?
You and I and even most Knicks fans realize they are not title contenders as presently constructed. How good they are this season depends on how Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire (and Tyson Chandler) mesh on offense. Because when all three were on the court together last season the Knicks offense was awful (95 points per 100 possessions).
When asked what fans could expect from the Knicks this season, Smith said frankly, “a championship.”
“Nothing less,” Smith said. “If we settle for anything less, we already start off losing.”
He’s right. The team needs to go in with this attitude.
On the outside we can make what should be more objective judgment of the talent and how it fits together, but in the locker room they need to believe it will work.
So, when Smith or a player says something like this, I kind of shrug.
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 0
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22