Sep 11, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Williams, the star point guard of the Brooklyn Nets, is on the cover of the new video game “NBA Baller Beats.” The question was would he have gotten that prime spot if he still played in Salt Lake City for the Jazz.
“Probably not,” Williams told The Post yesterday. “There’s not a lot of national opportunities in Utah. There’s definitely some local stuff, some regional stuff, but not too much national stuff.”
For a lot of players, that potential for larger endorsement deals matters.
There are a handful of guys so big that it doesn’t matter where they play — Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant. That level of star is so big nationally and internationally that if they are based out of Cleveland or Oklahoma City it doesn’t hit their bottom line. But this is an elite few players.
For everyone else, even a step below that — D-Will being an example — the opportunities for money and celebrity in big markets plays a role in making changes. If you are a good player or a role player, the opportunities in a big city can boost your income. So suddenly Los Angeles or New York become more attractive.
Understand that size of the contract (read: money) is always the main factor, with weather and lifestyle in the mix, too. But endorsement opportunities matter in the decision making process. And there is nothing that can go into a CBA to change the advantage big markets have there.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31