Sep 10, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
Okay, we get it — Shaquille O’Neal doesn’t really like Dwight Howard.
Maybe it goes back to the Superman nickname, or maybe Shaq disliked all challengers to his status as the best center in the game, but the thing has taken on a Hatfields vs. McCoys level of foolishness.
“I don’t have a reaction. You have to care to have a reaction. I’ve got businesses to run. I always tell people that in order to step in my shoes you have big shoes to fill. For him, he’s going to have to at least win three to get people’s respect.”
How do you feel about a big center like Howard following your same path to the Lakers following four years with the Magic?
“I’m flattered, if you want to put it like that.”
While he’s not exactly coming from a place of love, Shaq is right about this at the end of the day. Howard has dug himself one huge public relations hole, he’s followed Shaq in a way his people said he didn’t want to when they were pushing Brooklyn.
The only way out is winning. A lot of winning. That and staying out of other public relations disasters (for example, show up for the youth camps with your name on them). Work with sponsor Adidas to come up with a clever advertising campaign that ties into remaking your image (as Nike did with Kobe Bryant post Colorado).
But winning is the big thing. This is America, we forgive winners a lot of things. Get three titles and you’ll be in a much better place.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4