LeBron and Durant are working out together. Again.

Sep 10, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game One Getty Images

They did it last year during the lockout — LeBron James and Kevin Durant worked out together. And both said it was the best training of their summer. They bonded. They pushed each other.

So, they are back at it again this summer, tweets Brian Windhorst at ESPN.

LeBron & Durant are back working out with each other in preparation for training camp. Last year they called it “hell week.”

This bothers some fans who want the old-school notion that rivals hated each other. Which had some legitimacy three or four decades ago when players didn’t get to know each other on the youth/AAU circuits as well and stars often stayed with teams for a career. But even when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson got to know each other, they became friends.

Now, it’s different. Players don’t carry rivalries over into the off-season the way fans do. Guys from different teams and parts of the country work out together all off-season long. And there’s nothing wrong with it — you as a fan don’t have to like the Heat, but if your guys are getting better working out with some of their players then it’s good for your team.

The bottom line is LeBron and Durant are the two guys on the planet capable of pushing each other on the court. If you are a fan of the Thunder and want Durant to grow his game, this is one way he can do it. It may be the best way he can do it. And he comes to camp in better shape and more ready.

So long as these friendships don’t carry over to games, it doesn’t matter. And if you think LeBron and Durant went easy on each other in the finals, I think you were on the wrong channel watching some baseball interleague games. Because they went at it hard.

1. nbascreed - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Am I the only one that feels like Jimmy is working way harder at this relationship than KD? I get the feeling KD is along for the ride but is going to relish slicing his throat as soon as the opportunity presents itself…kinda like a young Amsterdam.

• sellahh - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Oh ye? I think u just looked at the picture and didnt read the article but,,,

• nbascreed - Sep 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I read the article. I also saw KD’s quote b/f the Olympics. Something to the effect that he was struggling being teammates with the guy who just beat him. I thought to myself “there’s a competitor.” Don’t think Jimmy would’ve had the same inhibitions. Relax Lebron’s my favorite player, just making an observation. If you have a basis in 80’s NBA you can’t tell me that Larry Bird was as invested in the Magic-Larry friendship as Magic? I honestly think Larry could’ve took it or left it. I think KD is the same way. Conversely I think the natures of Lebron and Magic are engaging and so these friendships come natural to them. That’s all.

• sellahh - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I see the point ure making but well, my basis of the nba is not that of 80s. But yeah, I dont think I could picture Jordan practicing with any of his greatest rivals.

2. dunkindan - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Makes sense. Nobody can guard LeBron. Nobody can guard Durant. Why not play against the second best player in the world if you’re the best.

3. slippyal2 - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM

They will continue their separation from the pack.

4. matthewcarlson1 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

How can’t this be good for the game?

5. eflem80 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

This is why Melo and the Knicks will eliminate them both by seasons end……

• dawkafella - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Whatever ur smokin pass it this way….. Melo will never win a ring as the go to player.

• biggestmiaheatfan305 - Sep 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Melo is not a good defender on Lebron therefore if melo can’t stop Lebron the Knicks won’t have a chance against the heat and plus all the Knicks have is Amir and melo.

6. lucky5936 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Lebron just wants to play with Durant when Wade washes up. All joking aside I would think that inviting your own team to such an intense week of workouts would be better for Durant in the long run.

7. telergy - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Imagine if your kd? Lebron is sorta like a big brother. All little brothers wanna be better and beat their big brothers…it’s only gonna drive kd even more. On the outside it looks bad but it will make him an even better player.

8. eventhorizon04 - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I don’t think it looks bad.

Nobody doubts Durant, despite being friends with LeBron, desperately wanted to win in the Finals – everybody remembers his reaction after losing.

As long as there’s no evidence of them “going easy on each other” in games – and there isn’t (the Miami-OKC regular season and post-season games were all hard-fought), then it doesn’t look bad at all.

9. Michael DeCicco - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:00 AM

LeBron has said on multiple occasions that he began reaching out to Durant beginning his rookie season . LeBron prided himself on not needing a “mentor” because his path was so unlike anyone before in the history of the game (16 year old prodigy, being the face of your home state team by 18, etc.). I think as LBJ got older he realized he could have used a Kobe or Garnett type player to mentor him throughout his early years. With Durant I think LeBron saw himself, the struggle of being so young and the face of a struggling franchise. There’s no question their relationship goes beyond the game of basketball and that they are very close. To give them a hard time because they are trying to push each other to better is ridiculous.

10. money2long - Sep 11, 2012 at 7:43 AM

skip bayless isn’t going to like this

11. 24thesho - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Just imagine how cool it would have been if Isiah Thomas was even a little more respectful with Michael Jordan; what that could have been in certain situations, i.e. Dream Team 1. How’s that working out for Thomas, now? In historical terms, of course.

12. lakerluver - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

In between watching the LAKERS v. the Celtics play in the 2012-13 Finals, they can workout all they want to.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches