Sep 10, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
Not that there was much doubt after he inked a new three-year deal at age 36, but Kevin Garnett wants you to know where his loyalties lie.
He’s a Celtic. Forever.
“I will retire as a Celtic for sure.”
The “for sure” really seals it.
You might have been able to question that some at points in the past two years — GM Danny Ainge was trying to figure out how to transition the Celtics from the 2010 finals team (and 2008 champion) into a team that could compete in a world with the Heat and Bulls in the East. (Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose, obviously.)
But he has come about as close as he can, with smart moves like the addition of Jason Terry to provide scoring off the bench. The Celtics are on the Heat’s heals, should Miami stumble.
But even if Ainge had not figured it out, I still think KG might have walked away then jumped ship. He likes his legacy in Boston.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70