Kevin Garnett reiterates: “I will retire as a Celtic for sure”

Sep 10, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven Getty Images

Not that there was much doubt after he inked a new three-year deal at age 36, but Kevin Garnett wants you to know where his loyalties lie.

He’s a Celtic. Forever.

KG is touring through Asia pimping shoes (as a lot of NBA players do this time of year, Garnett is with Anta) and spoke with Chinese Web site Hupu, something translated by Hoopshype.

“I will retire as a Celtic for sure.”

The “for sure” really seals it.

You might have been able to question that some at points in the past two years — GM Danny Ainge was trying to figure out how to transition the Celtics from the 2010 finals team (and 2008 champion) into a team that could compete in a world with the Heat and Bulls in the East. (Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose, obviously.)

But he has come about as close as he can, with smart moves like the addition of Jason Terry to provide scoring off the bench. The Celtics are on the Heat’s heals, should Miami stumble.

But even if Ainge had not figured it out, I still think KG might have walked away then jumped ship. He likes his legacy in Boston.

1. zblott - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Looking at the most straight-forward pros/cons for the all-time best Power Forwards, Garnett actually ranks second behind Duncan, placing him ahead of Malone and Barkley.

Check out the facts:

2. money2long - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

it aint easy getting two different fan bases to love you. KG is the man, even if he is a bully.

3. lakerluver - Sep 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I hate playing the woulda, coulda, shoulda game. HOWEVER, KG coulda been a LAKER instead of a celtic (yes, the letter case differentiation was intentional) back in 08. Instead of just the 1 ring he has now, he’d probably have 3. Oh, well……….He’s still one of my all time fave players. I’d still take Duncan as my number 1 PF but after that it’s a toss up between Barkley, Malone, McHale and KG. Yeah, I said McHale, who Barkley says is the best PF he’s ever faced.

4. paulhargis53 - Sep 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

In KG’s own words:

“I was pretty close, to be honest. What disturbed me about the whole Lakers situation was Kobe and Phil at the time. They were at each other pretty bad, and it was a new situation I didn’t want to get into. It was my choice. There was a lot going on and I didn’t want to be a part of it.”

So, you can thank Kobe for him not making it there. That was the summer of Kobe’s discontent.
    KG didn’t want to put up with the Kobe circus.

By the way, youre a laughingstock( for many reasons) for putting the Lakers in all caps.
    How much of an idiot do you have to be to do that? You’re in your late 30’s for God’s sake!

Also once again, picking players from the last 30 years? No mention of Schayes, Debusscherre, Pettit or Elvin Hayes?! Oh that’s right, the NBA didnt exist prior to you jumping on the lakers bandwagon around 1980

By the way, you don’t have to justify McHale. People know he was awesome.

I’m sure youre top power forwards were culled from Bleacher Report- God knows you don’t have an orginal thought in your head.

Just quit posting. No one will miss you. Your idiotic homeristic blathering wore out its welcome long ago. Even your fellow fans have tired of you.

5. lakerluver - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Well, well, well….look who’s back, paulhargis53yearsold. Glad you could join us. Well, actually I’m not, since you never add anything of substance to the discussion. All I will say is exactly what I said earlier, had KG joined the LAKERS he would have at least 3 rings right now. And, with the addition of D12 how many more could he have won?! Kobe, D12, KG, Nash and Ron would’ve been flat out insane!! Oh, well, guess he’s happy with just one measly ring…….Furthermore, ph53yearsold, why do you argue stuff that’s not even worth debating? You make yourself look dumb, dude. You bring up all those old timers when the vast majority of people know that the top PF’s are the ones I named. I’m not saying players from the 50’s (your era) weren’t great in their own right. But it’s pretty much acknowledged by most that Duncan, Malone, KG and Barkley are the best PF’s ever. I added McHale because I feel he belongs amongst them. Stop being “old cantankerous guy”!!!

• dandevinesdog - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

…do you even read what you post or is it all a stream of purple-tinted idiocy?

Let’s revisit the summer of ’07 when Garnett was traded. Kobe Bryant was bitter – Shaq and the Heat had beat him to another title, Jerry West was retiring and the Lakers were stagnating. He wanted Andrew Bynum traded. More importantly, Kobe wanted to be traded.

KG was on the trading block and the Lakers were in the conversation. I don’t recall every trade scenario but all of them included Bynum in the deal. In hindsight, the Timberwolves should have taken Bynum over Al Jefferson, but he had even more questions then than he does now.

Without Bynum, the Wolves would not have traded KG to L.A. Without Bynum, that four team trade doesn’t go down and L.A. would have never gotten Howard. But somehow, you believe the Lakers would find a way to have Kobe, KG, AND Dwight Howard while still having enough money left over for Steve Nash’s sign-and-trade?

I’ve seen delusional but… my god, man.

6. paulhargis53 - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Really? That’s your comeback? Uff.

Way to totally ignore Garnetts comment about not wanting to Olay there because of Kobe.

Way to also ignore Hall of fame players.
    My guess is you don’t know who any of them are. You’re list is almost verbatim to what bleacher report has.

How can you not recognize what those men did? Hell, you didn’t even know what a stud Jerry West was until I schooled you on it! And he plays for tour favorite team!!!

Yo, my little idiotic tick turd are the one that looks dumb.

I’ve also explained my screen name, but you’re too dumb to get that, even.

The next original thought you have, will be the 1st.
    The more you keep responding, the more it reenforces that I win. You are a weakminded idiot. I help make you look stupid on daily basis, yet you keep coming back for more. What an idiot you are.
    It’s plain for everyone to see what you are.A biased, homeristic, loud mouth, know nothing.
    You’re not taken seriously on this site.
    You’re a dime a dozen, there’s at least 15 other guys on here like you.
    You’re boring an used up. Just get lost, noone wants to read you’re dreck anymore. I’m sure you’re told to get lodt off line too. I bet you have a very smackable face.

7. scalfor3 - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

if barkley had gotten a ring, would duncan still be considered the greatest pf of all time? even if so, would it be a slam dunk.

playing devils advocate here

8. paulhargis53 - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Dandevine: Great post. Id be very suprised if he comes back an answers either of our posts though. His m.o. lately is to make one or two stupid posts, get schooled, come back and not respond, but thumbs down the posts against him and then show up on the next Lakers thread claiming to have verbally bested you. He also likes to claim that “all the experts” agree with him.(bleacher report, hoops manifesto) You know, bloggers.

He is the most homeristic of homers.
    And yes, he’s very, very delusional.

That sad part is that he’s about 38 years old and he has the mindset of a 15 year old.
    Watch and wait to see how his fragmented mind works. It’s fascinating in a I can’t look away from the scen of an accident type of way.
    It’s hilarious because his attempts at rebuttal are so God awful.
    I’m embarrassed for him, but he doesn’t seem to mind that he looks the fool on a daily basis.

9. truthhurtstoo - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

In others words “I will continue to suck out as much money from this franchise as possible.” pfft

10. paulhargis53 - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

He gave them a discount you imbecile.
    Garnett is still playing at a high level.

Careful, your lakerluver gene is showing.
    Oh wait, you’re the lakerluver of heat fans aren’t you. Carry on, no one expects anything less from you. You’re a caricature.

11. jimeejohnson - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Some folks look for answers, others look for fights. Garnett looks Chinese, in a cool way. He probably had the kill of all time Chinese food over there. Wonder if he knows how to use chopstix?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches