Sep 10, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
Not that there was much doubt after he inked a new three-year deal at age 36, but Kevin Garnett wants you to know where his loyalties lie.
He’s a Celtic. Forever.
“I will retire as a Celtic for sure.”
The “for sure” really seals it.
You might have been able to question that some at points in the past two years — GM Danny Ainge was trying to figure out how to transition the Celtics from the 2010 finals team (and 2008 champion) into a team that could compete in a world with the Heat and Bulls in the East. (Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose, obviously.)
But he has come about as close as he can, with smart moves like the addition of Jason Terry to provide scoring off the bench. The Celtics are on the Heat’s heals, should Miami stumble.
But even if Ainge had not figured it out, I still think KG might have walked away then jumped ship. He likes his legacy in Boston.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50