Sep 10, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
Pat Riley is not afraid to make moves. He’s got his big three in Miami, a few nice role players around them and that is enough to have them in title contention. If he can make a move that improves the team or saves some money, he’ll do it, but he can do it on his terms.
Which brings us to this comment from Heat beat writer Ira Winderman in his mailbag Q&A at the Sun Sentinel, where he was asked about the Heat bringing in Jarvis Varnado and Mickell Gladness
It’s just a hunch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Heat were angling to find the next Joel Anthony so they could get rid of the current version, who is due $3.8 million in each of the next two seasons. In the Heat’s “position-less” small-ball approach, the objective is to have everyone on the floor capable of contributing to the offense, an area where Anthony struggles. For another team, Anthony’s defensive value might offset what actually is a reasonable price tag for a contributor.
I don’t think there will be much of a market for Anthony if they try to shop him. I think Anthony provides some value to the Heat, and even if it is more to another franchise it is not $3.8 million worth. Not as a shot-blocking slightly undersized big off the bench.
I’m also far from convinced that either Gladness or Varnado can be the next Joel Anthony. If they wanted to replace him free agent Chris Andersen makes more sense, but he is not young and comes with his own baggage right now.
But don’t be surprised if Riley tinkers with the lineup, and if one guy can get another team to take on a deal it’s him. That guy can sell.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 2
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 12
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4