Sep 10, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
Pat Riley is not afraid to make moves. He’s got his big three in Miami, a few nice role players around them and that is enough to have them in title contention. If he can make a move that improves the team or saves some money, he’ll do it, but he can do it on his terms.
Which brings us to this comment from Heat beat writer Ira Winderman in his mailbag Q&A at the Sun Sentinel, where he was asked about the Heat bringing in Jarvis Varnado and Mickell Gladness
It’s just a hunch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Heat were angling to find the next Joel Anthony so they could get rid of the current version, who is due $3.8 million in each of the next two seasons. In the Heat’s “position-less” small-ball approach, the objective is to have everyone on the floor capable of contributing to the offense, an area where Anthony struggles. For another team, Anthony’s defensive value might offset what actually is a reasonable price tag for a contributor.
I don’t think there will be much of a market for Anthony if they try to shop him. I think Anthony provides some value to the Heat, and even if it is more to another franchise it is not $3.8 million worth. Not as a shot-blocking slightly undersized big off the bench.
I’m also far from convinced that either Gladness or Varnado can be the next Joel Anthony. If they wanted to replace him free agent Chris Andersen makes more sense, but he is not young and comes with his own baggage right now.
But don’t be surprised if Riley tinkers with the lineup, and if one guy can get another team to take on a deal it’s him. That guy can sell.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury