Sep 10, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
Pat Riley is not afraid to make moves. He’s got his big three in Miami, a few nice role players around them and that is enough to have them in title contention. If he can make a move that improves the team or saves some money, he’ll do it, but he can do it on his terms.
Which brings us to this comment from Heat beat writer Ira Winderman in his mailbag Q&A at the Sun Sentinel, where he was asked about the Heat bringing in Jarvis Varnado and Mickell Gladness
It’s just a hunch, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Heat were angling to find the next Joel Anthony so they could get rid of the current version, who is due $3.8 million in each of the next two seasons. In the Heat’s “position-less” small-ball approach, the objective is to have everyone on the floor capable of contributing to the offense, an area where Anthony struggles. For another team, Anthony’s defensive value might offset what actually is a reasonable price tag for a contributor.
I don’t think there will be much of a market for Anthony if they try to shop him. I think Anthony provides some value to the Heat, and even if it is more to another franchise it is not $3.8 million worth. Not as a shot-blocking slightly undersized big off the bench.
I’m also far from convinced that either Gladness or Varnado can be the next Joel Anthony. If they wanted to replace him free agent Chris Andersen makes more sense, but he is not young and comes with his own baggage right now.
But don’t be surprised if Riley tinkers with the lineup, and if one guy can get another team to take on a deal it’s him. That guy can sell.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 41
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 54
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10