Three weeks to training camp… Kyrie Irving is not afraid of the moment

Sep 9, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Getty Images

The wait is almost over. We’re three weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.

The point guard position in the NBA is so deep you can go on for an hour and still miss someone absolutely stellar. So the fact that Kyrie Irving has shot up the ranks of the top point guards says something. Irving’s rookie season was simply stellar. He wasn’t just a scorer. He wasn’t just a distributor. He was the kind of point guard you dream about, the exact type of franchise player that Cleveland needed after you know who did you know what. Irving was particularly insane late in games. The kid just has stones. And in three weeks, we get to start ramping up towards his encore after an incredible rookie season.

1. money2long - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

i think he’ll be better than rubio when it’s said and done.

• allmyteamsareterrible - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

you’re kidding right? He is better than Rubio now…you have to be joking me. He can actually, oh I don’t know, score? Seriously I can not understand for the life of me how you could even put Rubio in the same category as Irving. Check the stats, and watch a game every now and then.

• money2long - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

ummm rubio passing game is serious. it is definitely a debate my man. being the better player is about more than just scoring. i like how irving can do it all when it comes to scoring, and he didn’t do so bad facilitating a not so elite supporting cast in leveland, but rubio can change the complexion of the game by his masterful vision. have you seen how rubio controls the ball? he looks like steve nash. and he is a steal specialist. rubio is very, very crafty. he doesn’t have the shot like irving but he can still find ways to get his buckets when he feels he needs to score. rubio is def more pass oriented, he isn’t built in the same mold as irving, he is more of a smooth scorer. rubio can also get dirty and grab some boards. i like rubio’s size too.

you got me making a case so hard for rubio right now you’re almost making me wanna change my mind. lol. but i won’t. i’m still on irving’s side of the fence here.

one thing’s for sure. it IS a debate.

• allmyteamsareterrible - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I would read what you typed but what’s the point? You’re wrong.

• sellahh - Sep 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I see what u both r getting into, but all in all its easier to find a good passer rather than a franchise player like Irving who is so fearless about those big moments. To me Rubio is not a franchise player and well, Irving, who knows?

• money2long - Sep 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

allmyteamsareterrible, ur only making urself look bad with that rebuttal. based on the only substance you provided, using your logic, you are saying westbrook is a better player than magic johnson because westbrook is the better scorer. i of course do not believe that, but the only point you put up to make a case against rubio is the fact irving is the better scorer. being the better player is more about offensive arsenal.. so, good day to you sir. or ma’am.

2. nbascreed - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Can someone tell me why Afflalo was picking up Irving full court with chest to chest pressure? If you watch in slow-mo you see he’s got him on his hip (trouble) as he approaches the 3 point line (at full speed) and you have, virtually 3 Nuggets, on a horizontal plane with the hoop???

Stop it at :04 and play “what’s wrong with this picture”?

On another note, I love Kyrie. I wasn’t sure about him but he’s on my list of must see players this year.

• royistheboy - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

So you’re saying he should have picked him up a the 3 point line? Perhaps Denver felt a threatened by his range and feared he’d take the quick pull-up 3?

• sellahh - Sep 10, 2012 at 6:37 AM

They thought Irving as a rookie would be hesitant which he was none of ;) U never played or what?

3. allmyteamsareterrible - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Been saying he is a top 5 PG. People who don’t watch the Cavs and base their opinions off of the work of others have disagreed. Mark my words, there will be NO DOUBT after this season that Kyrie Irving is one of the best guards in the NBA. Not one of the best up and coming guards in the NBA… top 5 if not top 3 guards playing today and he is going into his second season.

The Cavs deserve this kid. The city of Cleveland deserves this kid. I Couldn’t be happier for both.

• bils293 - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Easy now. Top 3? What about cp3, drose, Westbrook, deron Williams, rondo? And I hope you were only talking point guards and not shooting guards also because then the list goes on. Irving is good no doubt but lets not get ahead of ourselves

4. n8fite - Sep 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

kyrie is a very good young pg and hopefully he can bring the cavs back from the dead. you know since leBrick left us

• sellahh - Sep 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM

when u have a player who could average 20-5-5 for the rest of his career id not say ure dead

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches