Three weeks to training camp… Kobe ain’t dead yet

Sep 9, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Five Getty Images

The wait is almost over. We’re three weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.

I get bugged a lot by highlight shows. It’s not that I don’t enjoy highlights, I love highlights. I grew up in the 90’s in an area without an NBA team anywhere close. Before the late season Sunday games began, highlight shows and newspaper box scores (related: Geebus, I’m old) were how I became obsessed with the league. I don’t mind over-the-top anchors, over-the-top human interest stories, or the way highlights slice apart the best parts of games. Show the flash. I mind when performances that weren’t efficient get tagged with all of the highlights. I mind when the other team who either won or were in it till the end get completely excluded from the package. I mind when simple numbers make something noteworthy, how a 40-point performance is this monstrous thing no matter how shot attempts were taken.

On a completely unrelated note, here’s Kobe Bryant dropping 40 points routinely last season. I will tell you emphatically that these weren’t Kobe’s best games, that often his best games were relatively quiet performances where he simply played so well in the offense, on defense, and helping to make the Lakers the best they could be. But we live in an age where help defense has dramatically decreased the ability of players to drop massive scoring totals like we saw in the mid-to-late 00’s, and dropping 40 is still very much cool. Kobe’s older. But he’s still deadly.

1. passthepeppa - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

what is this?? let’s talk about ME for a minute…smh

2. money2long - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

kobe’s closing in on 35 yrs of age but his elite offensive repertoire allows nights like this. and it’s come to the point where if kobe drops 40, it’s not even shocking.

3. cosanostra71 - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM

you know everyone is always so busy debating Kobe… whether he’s the best player in the NBA now, where he stands compared to MJ, is he a ballhog… but to be honest, us Lakers fans have been blessed to have been able to watch him the last 16 years. What a player.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Very well said.

4. philliephaninva - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I think they need to change the name to Kobe’s Lakers playing for the Kobe Basketball Association. Then Kobe could get all the recognition that Kobe thinks he should get. While we’re at it, let’s change the name of the country to the United States of Kobe. Hell, change the name of the planet to Kobe. Kobe=wanker.

• paleihe - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM

So it’s his fault he get a lot of attention? Interesting.

• tsi431 - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Maybe we should name the most expensive cut of beef after him, oh wait, damn you Kobe beef.

5. lakerluver - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM

The march for ring number 6 begins for Kobe, and Banner number 17 for the famed PURPLE & GOLD. Go LAKERS!!!

6. limonadamas - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

What??? A Matt Moore article that doesn’t bash Kobe or give the Lakers back-handed compliments?? I’m pleasantly surprised… Great string of articles with 3 weeks to training camp. We all can’t wait for the season to get started.

• sellahh - Sep 10, 2012 at 5:55 AM

What??? Can’t u read or sth? Read the second paragraph the revisit ur idea of ‘an article that doesnt bash someone’.

holy christ

• tsi431 - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM

He must of had his account hacked. I bet Kobe did it.

• limonadamas - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, never mind… He just said Kobe and Tyreke Evans are basically the same player. Back to the same old Matt. smh.

7. maddogg911 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Kobe is the best player of this generation, plain and simple. His will to win is second to none. He is top 5 of all time. As a due hard laker fan, he’s the best laker ever!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches