Sep 9, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The wait is almost over. We’re three weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.
I get bugged a lot by highlight shows. It’s not that I don’t enjoy highlights, I love highlights. I grew up in the 90’s in an area without an NBA team anywhere close. Before the late season Sunday games began, highlight shows and newspaper box scores (related: Geebus, I’m old) were how I became obsessed with the league. I don’t mind over-the-top anchors, over-the-top human interest stories, or the way highlights slice apart the best parts of games. Show the flash. I mind when performances that weren’t efficient get tagged with all of the highlights. I mind when the other team who either won or were in it till the end get completely excluded from the package. I mind when simple numbers make something noteworthy, how a 40-point performance is this monstrous thing no matter how shot attempts were taken.
On a completely unrelated note, here’s Kobe Bryant dropping 40 points routinely last season. I will tell you emphatically that these weren’t Kobe’s best games, that often his best games were relatively quiet performances where he simply played so well in the offense, on defense, and helping to make the Lakers the best they could be. But we live in an age where help defense has dramatically decreased the ability of players to drop massive scoring totals like we saw in the mid-to-late 00’s, and dropping 40 is still very much cool. Kobe’s older. But he’s still deadly.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 53
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9