Shaq will not be playing in the Mexican League

Sep 9, 2012, 5:00 PM EST

2nd Annual Cartoon Network Hall Of Game Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

There was a report last week about Shaquille O’Neal possibly playing in the Mexican League. It would have been just a publicity gig, but would have worked out well for both sides. But then, the report would have to be accurate. And Shaq, speaking to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, says it isn’t.

Is there any truth to the reports that youll be playing games in the Mexican League next month?”No truth to that. Its kind of unfortunate that so-called experts have to get their sources from the Internet. Its backwards. Especially like when people from ESPN know me and they can call me and ask me, but somebody else said it so they want to be the first to report it even though its not true. However, we could talk, but nobody has contacted me.”So you definitely wont?”Probably not.”

via Shaq unplugged: Q&A with former LSU, NBA star Shaquille ONeal | NOLA.com.

So there’s that. No Mexican League basketball for Shaq.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone, O’Neal has always been conscious of how his legacy would be perceived and though he’s definitely a clown in non-basketball matters, intentionally, he’s remained dedicated to protecting his standing as one of the true greats in the game (maybe too much). He’s not ruling it out completely, but I doubt we’ll be seeing it.

1. timb12 - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

He’d do it if he got to play in his underwear.

2. eugenesaxe - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Translation: They didn’t offer enough money.

3. jordanismyidol - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Who cares

4. magicbucs - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM

He just wants attention like him making up the story about getting interviewed for the magic gm job.
    I just want him off TNT next season.

• 00maltliquor - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I’m a huge Shaq fan but I agree, dude stunk up the joint on TNT. Worst analyst I’ve ever seen, and it’s not even close.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches