Sep 9, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
There was a report last week about Shaquille O’Neal possibly playing in the Mexican League. It would have been just a publicity gig, but would have worked out well for both sides. But then, the report would have to be accurate. And Shaq, speaking to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, says it isn’t.
Is there any truth to the reports that youll be playing games in the Mexican League next month?”No truth to that. Its kind of unfortunate that so-called experts have to get their sources from the Internet. Its backwards. Especially like when people from ESPN know me and they can call me and ask me, but somebody else said it so they want to be the first to report it even though its not true. However, we could talk, but nobody has contacted me.”So you definitely wont?”Probably not.”
So there’s that. No Mexican League basketball for Shaq.
It shouldn’t surprise anyone, O’Neal has always been conscious of how his legacy would be perceived and though he’s definitely a clown in non-basketball matters, intentionally, he’s remained dedicated to protecting his standing as one of the true greats in the game (maybe too much). He’s not ruling it out completely, but I doubt we’ll be seeing it.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 13
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17