Sep 9, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
There was a report last week about Shaquille O’Neal possibly playing in the Mexican League. It would have been just a publicity gig, but would have worked out well for both sides. But then, the report would have to be accurate. And Shaq, speaking to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, says it isn’t.
Is there any truth to the reports that youll be playing games in the Mexican League next month?”No truth to that. Its kind of unfortunate that so-called experts have to get their sources from the Internet. Its backwards. Especially like when people from ESPN know me and they can call me and ask me, but somebody else said it so they want to be the first to report it even though its not true. However, we could talk, but nobody has contacted me.”So you definitely wont?”Probably not.”
So there’s that. No Mexican League basketball for Shaq.
It shouldn’t surprise anyone, O’Neal has always been conscious of how his legacy would be perceived and though he’s definitely a clown in non-basketball matters, intentionally, he’s remained dedicated to protecting his standing as one of the true greats in the game (maybe too much). He’s not ruling it out completely, but I doubt we’ll be seeing it.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 24
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 15
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7