Sep 9, 2012, 7:13 PM EST
Dominic McGuire has hung out there as one of the few name free agents left on the list. McGuire was a reserve in Golden State last year, averaging just 17.6 minutes. He averaged just 7.3 points per 36 minutes, but also tagged close to 8 rebounds and 1.4 assists at that rate. Additionally, it was the first time in his career I’ve kept an eye on him and noticed a real difference being made defensively. Synergy Sports had him tagged at allowing just .71 in the post, and a ridiculous .585 points per possession in Isolation. It was a limited sample but he made a real difference.
And now he’ll be hopefully making that difference in Toronto. From Yahoo Sports:
McGuire, who played 64 of 66 games for Golden State a season ago, is still working out the details on a one- or two-year deal, sources said, but has committed to play for Toronto. He was scheduled to participate in a workout with the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday with free agent Josh Childress, but cancelled after agreeing to play for Toronto this season.
McGuire should work well with coach Dwane Casey, and provide him with an option for a defense-first player where they have some depth issues. It’s a solid pick-up and likely on the cheap, a win for both sides.
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 19
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 10
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)