Sep 9, 2012, 6:55 AM EDT
Ayon isn’t near the same level but he played well as a rookie for the New Orleans Hornets last year, giving them an efficient 5.9 points and 4.9 rebounds a game, with an above-average PER of 16.7. That’s an impressive start. He is going to have a larger role with the Magic next season to see if he can build off that.
Ayon is in the second year of his current deal — in theory he could be a free agent next summer, although it’s impossible to imagine the Magic not picking up the $1.5 million option for the season after next.
“I would be proud if I could return to Spain and go back to a team like Real Madrid or Barcelona. I prefer Madrid because I know the city better.”
He goes on to say he doesn’t know what will happen next summer so he is trying to enjoy this moment and this stage in Orlando.
This in no way means Ayon is gone as soon as he can be, he is not looking to pull a Dwight. But clearly the Mexican national is a guy who has options overseas and wouldn’t be afraid to use them. And for players, options mean leverage in talks.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona