Sep 8, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
So Nike exec Phil Knight was inducted to the Hall of Fame last night, and his presenter happened to be Michael Jordan, on account of the symbiotic relationship between the two men’s cultural rise. In the video below, Knight thanks Jordan by elevating him, calling him the greatest of all time and talking about his impact on the industry. And where he goes… is a little weird.
In talking about Jordan’s impact in selling shoes and on society through being his Airness, Knight compares him to Nathan Hale, Mao Zedong, Che Guevara and makes a reference to Jesus Christ.
Apparently 18th century revolutionaries, Marxist-Communist leaders, and Che buy shoes, too.
It should be noted that Mao Zedong altered the course of Asian geopolitical finances, military, and philosophy irrevocably and stood as chairman of the party for the most populous nation on Earth for thirty years. Jordan once took two years off to fail as a baseball player. So yeah, there’s a little hyperbole involved here. If you’re into sports, it’s easy to recognize some sort of thread between the two. But if you have a greater perspective… easy there, Phil.
Also, he’s Jesus, apparently. So he’s got that going for him.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10