Sep 8, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
So Nike exec Phil Knight was inducted to the Hall of Fame last night, and his presenter happened to be Michael Jordan, on account of the symbiotic relationship between the two men’s cultural rise. In the video below, Knight thanks Jordan by elevating him, calling him the greatest of all time and talking about his impact on the industry. And where he goes… is a little weird.
In talking about Jordan’s impact in selling shoes and on society through being his Airness, Knight compares him to Nathan Hale, Mao Zedong, Che Guevara and makes a reference to Jesus Christ.
Apparently 18th century revolutionaries, Marxist-Communist leaders, and Che buy shoes, too.
It should be noted that Mao Zedong altered the course of Asian geopolitical finances, military, and philosophy irrevocably and stood as chairman of the party for the most populous nation on Earth for thirty years. Jordan once took two years off to fail as a baseball player. So yeah, there’s a little hyperbole involved here. If you’re into sports, it’s easy to recognize some sort of thread between the two. But if you have a greater perspective… easy there, Phil.
Also, he’s Jesus, apparently. So he’s got that going for him.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 0
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 8
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4