Sep 8, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
So Nike exec Phil Knight was inducted to the Hall of Fame last night, and his presenter happened to be Michael Jordan, on account of the symbiotic relationship between the two men’s cultural rise. In the video below, Knight thanks Jordan by elevating him, calling him the greatest of all time and talking about his impact on the industry. And where he goes… is a little weird.
In talking about Jordan’s impact in selling shoes and on society through being his Airness, Knight compares him to Nathan Hale, Mao Zedong, Che Guevara and makes a reference to Jesus Christ.
Apparently 18th century revolutionaries, Marxist-Communist leaders, and Che buy shoes, too.
It should be noted that Mao Zedong altered the course of Asian geopolitical finances, military, and philosophy irrevocably and stood as chairman of the party for the most populous nation on Earth for thirty years. Jordan once took two years off to fail as a baseball player. So yeah, there’s a little hyperbole involved here. If you’re into sports, it’s easy to recognize some sort of thread between the two. But if you have a greater perspective… easy there, Phil.
Also, he’s Jesus, apparently. So he’s got that going for him.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 18
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 13
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record