Sep 8, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
The wait is almost over. We’re three weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to
It’s a singularly unique move in today’s NBA. The ball-fake’s not new. And Rajon Rondo isn’t the only one to use it. He’s just the only one to use it the way he does. It’s simultaneously disorienting, and a representation of style. It hearkens back to the truest concepts expressed in Free Darko. It’s all about creativity and improvisation. And it’s just freaking cool. Like I said earlier this week, it’s all about art.
And this one might be my personal favorite:
The flip to get one man off him, then beats the help defense with a similar move. It’s sneaky, it’s inventive, it’s sometimes unnecessary, but it’s an indelible part of the modern NBA. Can’t wait to see you fake it again, Rondo.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 23
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 21
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27