Sep 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The wait is almost over. We’re three weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.
Kenneth Faried wasn’t even supposed to play last year. George Karl was pretty straightforward in preseason about Faried’s chances of getting playing time. Karl had a team with playoff aspirations that had Nene, Kosta Koufos, Timofey Mozgov, and Al Harrington. What did he need with an undersized, raw rookie? Turns out he may not have needed Faried, but he got a lot out of him. Faried was the best rookie in the league the final two months of the season (thanks in large part due to injury, but it counts) and showed that he can and will be a force in this league despite whatever doubts people may have about him. Even if you don’t think he’s destined for big things, you have to enjoy watching him play. Manimal.
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 3
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 6
- LaMarcus Aldridge ruining Dwight Howard’s chance at redemption 8
- Spurs give the ball away first, then Game 2 to Dallas 10
- Bobcats fight to the end, but Heat come away with 2-0 series lead 5