Sep 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The wait is almost over. We’re three weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.
Kenneth Faried wasn’t even supposed to play last year. George Karl was pretty straightforward in preseason about Faried’s chances of getting playing time. Karl had a team with playoff aspirations that had Nene, Kosta Koufos, Timofey Mozgov, and Al Harrington. What did he need with an undersized, raw rookie? Turns out he may not have needed Faried, but he got a lot out of him. Faried was the best rookie in the league the final two months of the season (thanks in large part due to injury, but it counts) and showed that he can and will be a force in this league despite whatever doubts people may have about him. Even if you don’t think he’s destined for big things, you have to enjoy watching him play. Manimal.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32