Sep 7, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
Who is the locker room leader of the Phoenix Suns?
Steve Nash and his quiet leader role has gone to a rival (where he will play good cop to Kobe Bryant’s bad cop). Veteran Grant Hill has gone to Los Angeles as well, just to the team in red and white. Much of the roster has turned over as the Suns start to rebuild.
Is Jared Dudley the Suns new leader? It’s not an appointed position, but he seems to have stepped up in workouts as players start to show up to the Suns facilities in advance of training camp, according to the Suns team Web site.
“Being a leader is natural to me,” Dudley said. “Sometimes you can do it different ways. For me I want to be a voice and consummate professional, be in the weight room and stay after practice. When things go wrong, that’s when you show your leadership. It’s easy to be a leader when things are going well.”
Well, better Dudley than Michael Beasley as the leader.
Part of being a leader — being positive. Even when everyone around you may not be.
“We’ve lost a lot of pieces, but we have a lot of talent,” Dudley said. “It’s going to be [Coach Gentry’s] job, with the help of myself and other key veterans, to help mesh it all together. That’s what I’m here to do. I’m here to bring a positive energy and be a guy to help people fit into their roles. That’s the key to the NBA, everybody finding their roles.”
I’ll admit my bias — I like Dudley. I want this to work out for him. He averaged 12 points a game last year and he’s going to need to do more, but without the advantage of Steve Nash setting him up for a few easy ones.
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 4
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 11
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 14
- Stan Van Gundy says he will not coach anywhere next season 2
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay