Sep 7, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
Who is the locker room leader of the Phoenix Suns?
Steve Nash and his quiet leader role has gone to a rival (where he will play good cop to Kobe Bryant’s bad cop). Veteran Grant Hill has gone to Los Angeles as well, just to the team in red and white. Much of the roster has turned over as the Suns start to rebuild.
Is Jared Dudley the Suns new leader? It’s not an appointed position, but he seems to have stepped up in workouts as players start to show up to the Suns facilities in advance of training camp, according to the Suns team Web site.
“Being a leader is natural to me,” Dudley said. “Sometimes you can do it different ways. For me I want to be a voice and consummate professional, be in the weight room and stay after practice. When things go wrong, that’s when you show your leadership. It’s easy to be a leader when things are going well.”
Well, better Dudley than Michael Beasley as the leader.
Part of being a leader — being positive. Even when everyone around you may not be.
“We’ve lost a lot of pieces, but we have a lot of talent,” Dudley said. “It’s going to be [Coach Gentry’s] job, with the help of myself and other key veterans, to help mesh it all together. That’s what I’m here to do. I’m here to bring a positive energy and be a guy to help people fit into their roles. That’s the key to the NBA, everybody finding their roles.”
I’ll admit my bias — I like Dudley. I want this to work out for him. He averaged 12 points a game last year and he’s going to need to do more, but without the advantage of Steve Nash setting him up for a few easy ones.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 24
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 15
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7