Pistons’ Knight says he has gotten a lot better this summer

Sep 7, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons' Knight goes to the basket against Chicago Bulls' Noah during their NBA basketball game in Chicago Reuters

Right now, Brandon Knight is taking it slow trying to rest and heal up a case of plantar fasciitis, the foot condition that makes it painful to run. It’s mild and he should be ready to go by training camp.

And that is when Knight plans to show what he did with his summer vacation.

In the summer everybody is improved, everybody has been working on their game and if you listen to team personnel and agents, everyone is going to be making a leap.

But Knight really could make a leap. As a rookie point guard he showed promise, but he also looked like a rookie. He needs to be more efficient — shoot a higher percentage, reduce turnovers, get teammates the ball in better spots — and he is capable of those things. We will see over the next couple years if his game can mature.

For his part Knight sounds ready. Look what he told Pistons.com.

“Some of the things I wish I would have been better at last year, I think I will show this year because I’ve gotten so much better at them,” he said. “That’s why I’m very excited about the season. I can’t wait. I’m going to be able to do a lot more things as far as getting guys involved. I’m looking forward to getting guys to play harder and to want the basketball and look for me as a player that is going to help them have a good game, somebody that’s making everybody around them better.

“I’m visualizing getting wins, visualizing the Pistons taking strides to being a championship team like it used to be. You get tired of hearing how the Pistons used to be a good team. You take pride in bringing the Pistons back to what Pistons basketball is.”

If Knight can improve, if Greg Monroe can take his game to the next level, if Andre Drummond can come anywhere near his potential there is a nice core in Detroit. It’s young, it’s going to take a few more years, but there can be something there if these players develop.

If nothing else though, I like Knight’s attitude.

1. money2long - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM

OK OK, Detroit drafting well. i like knight. he just needs to work on his field goal percentage. and one thing is clear, he LOVES shooting 3 pointers. there was even a game where he hoisted up 13 of them. he’s not a bad 3pt shooter however.

one issue i have with him besides field goal % is the turnovers. he gets a pass because he was a rookie, but i hope the more mature he gets as an NBA pg, he’ll get more in control. i like what the pistons are building in the D. if drummond is a beast on the boards like monroe claims, the foundation is set. trade tayshaun and some of the less exciting pistons for more younger pieces and better players and the pistons will be headed in the right direction.

2. acdc363 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM

But Knight already took a leap….

INTO A TRAY IF GATORADE!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH

3. Turrents - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Reblogged this on Hoopshorts & Satisfaction and commented:
    I’m so ready.

4. sellahh - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

“I’m looking forward to getting guys to play harder and to want the basketball and look for me as a player that is going to help them have a good game, somebody that’s making everybody around them better.”
    This sounds as if he expected other guys stepping up their games will make his numbers better which is soooo dumb to say the least if he doesn’t step up his own game.

• truthplainandsimple - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Or…

He sounds like a player more focused on winning in the NBA as supposed to just playing in the NBA. In other words, he’s not a rookie anymore.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches