Sep 6, 2012, 1:39 AM EDT
Tom Thibodeau has a contract for next season. But not the one after that. And contract extension talks between Thibodeau and the notoriously stingy Bulls ownership have not gone smoothly before, with the two sides reportedly nowhere near each other.
But they seem to be talking again, according to ESPNChicago.com.
Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and coach Tom Thibodeau have resumed negotiations about a contract extension for Thibodeau, according to a source familiar with the situation.
Reports surfaced last season that Thibodeau was unhappy he did not have an extension secured. Forman then appeared on “The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show” on ESPN 1000 and stated that talks had begun before last season and would resume after the season.
Thibodeau has leverage here — the players, including Derrick Rose, are behind him; plus the Bulls just would not be the same without their coach’s defensive intensity. And the market has pretty much been set, the Thunder’s Scott Brooks just got four years at about $18 million.
As they always tend to do, these negotiations will continue to drag out. Still, expect a deal at some point because the Bulls need Thibodeau and he knows he’s got a team in Chicago that has one of those handful of stars you can build a contender around in Rose. Really, they need each other. Their just trying to save/make a few more bucks in the contract.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9