Sep 6, 2012, 1:39 AM EDT
Tom Thibodeau has a contract for next season. But not the one after that. And contract extension talks between Thibodeau and the notoriously stingy Bulls ownership have not gone smoothly before, with the two sides reportedly nowhere near each other.
But they seem to be talking again, according to ESPNChicago.com.
Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and coach Tom Thibodeau have resumed negotiations about a contract extension for Thibodeau, according to a source familiar with the situation.
Reports surfaced last season that Thibodeau was unhappy he did not have an extension secured. Forman then appeared on “The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show” on ESPN 1000 and stated that talks had begun before last season and would resume after the season.
Thibodeau has leverage here — the players, including Derrick Rose, are behind him; plus the Bulls just would not be the same without their coach’s defensive intensity. And the market has pretty much been set, the Thunder’s Scott Brooks just got four years at about $18 million.
As they always tend to do, these negotiations will continue to drag out. Still, expect a deal at some point because the Bulls need Thibodeau and he knows he’s got a team in Chicago that has one of those handful of stars you can build a contender around in Rose. Really, they need each other. Their just trying to save/make a few more bucks in the contract.
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 0
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 50
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 56
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46