Sep 6, 2012, 1:39 AM EDT
Tom Thibodeau has a contract for next season. But not the one after that. And contract extension talks between Thibodeau and the notoriously stingy Bulls ownership have not gone smoothly before, with the two sides reportedly nowhere near each other.
But they seem to be talking again, according to ESPNChicago.com.
Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and coach Tom Thibodeau have resumed negotiations about a contract extension for Thibodeau, according to a source familiar with the situation.
Reports surfaced last season that Thibodeau was unhappy he did not have an extension secured. Forman then appeared on “The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show” on ESPN 1000 and stated that talks had begun before last season and would resume after the season.
Thibodeau has leverage here — the players, including Derrick Rose, are behind him; plus the Bulls just would not be the same without their coach’s defensive intensity. And the market has pretty much been set, the Thunder’s Scott Brooks just got four years at about $18 million.
As they always tend to do, these negotiations will continue to drag out. Still, expect a deal at some point because the Bulls need Thibodeau and he knows he’s got a team in Chicago that has one of those handful of stars you can build a contender around in Rose. Really, they need each other. Their just trying to save/make a few more bucks in the contract.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 8
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11