Sep 6, 2012, 1:39 AM EDT
Tom Thibodeau has a contract for next season. But not the one after that. And contract extension talks between Thibodeau and the notoriously stingy Bulls ownership have not gone smoothly before, with the two sides reportedly nowhere near each other.
But they seem to be talking again, according to ESPNChicago.com.
Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and coach Tom Thibodeau have resumed negotiations about a contract extension for Thibodeau, according to a source familiar with the situation.
Reports surfaced last season that Thibodeau was unhappy he did not have an extension secured. Forman then appeared on “The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show” on ESPN 1000 and stated that talks had begun before last season and would resume after the season.
Thibodeau has leverage here — the players, including Derrick Rose, are behind him; plus the Bulls just would not be the same without their coach’s defensive intensity. And the market has pretty much been set, the Thunder’s Scott Brooks just got four years at about $18 million.
As they always tend to do, these negotiations will continue to drag out. Still, expect a deal at some point because the Bulls need Thibodeau and he knows he’s got a team in Chicago that has one of those handful of stars you can build a contender around in Rose. Really, they need each other. Their just trying to save/make a few more bucks in the contract.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 17
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 37
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 13
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33