Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors don’t really need another big man. They already have Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, Quincy Acy. Bargnani is the scorer, the young guys are going to get minutes because they need to develop.
But the Raptors think Jamaal Magloire might be a good veteran presence in the locker room, an extra coach for the young big men. So they have extended him a non-guaranteed contract with the chance to get the last open roster spot on the team, according to Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun.
Magloire played for the Raptors last season but was on the end of the bench, getting in just 34 games, and when he did play he wasn’t very effective — he shot 37 percent and had a PER of 2.7. Which is a bench warmer in the D-League kind of number. He’s not the guy you usually bring back, he’s the guy gone to make way for young players with potential.
But he’s a veteran leader, and they must see something they like in the locker room. He’s getting a chance to be that guy.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39