Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
The Toronto Raptors don’t really need another big man. They already have Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, Quincy Acy. Bargnani is the scorer, the young guys are going to get minutes because they need to develop.
But the Raptors think Jamaal Magloire might be a good veteran presence in the locker room, an extra coach for the young big men. So they have extended him a non-guaranteed contract with the chance to get the last open roster spot on the team, according to Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun.
Magloire played for the Raptors last season but was on the end of the bench, getting in just 34 games, and when he did play he wasn’t very effective — he shot 37 percent and had a PER of 2.7. Which is a bench warmer in the D-League kind of number. He’s not the guy you usually bring back, he’s the guy gone to make way for young players with potential.
But he’s a veteran leader, and they must see something they like in the locker room. He’s getting a chance to be that guy.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 0
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 35
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 23
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 15
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay