Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
The Toronto Raptors don’t really need another big man. They already have Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, Quincy Acy. Bargnani is the scorer, the young guys are going to get minutes because they need to develop.
But the Raptors think Jamaal Magloire might be a good veteran presence in the locker room, an extra coach for the young big men. So they have extended him a non-guaranteed contract with the chance to get the last open roster spot on the team, according to Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun.
Magloire played for the Raptors last season but was on the end of the bench, getting in just 34 games, and when he did play he wasn’t very effective — he shot 37 percent and had a PER of 2.7. Which is a bench warmer in the D-League kind of number. He’s not the guy you usually bring back, he’s the guy gone to make way for young players with potential.
But he’s a veteran leader, and they must see something they like in the locker room. He’s getting a chance to be that guy.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32