Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
The Toronto Raptors don’t really need another big man. They already have Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, Quincy Acy. Bargnani is the scorer, the young guys are going to get minutes because they need to develop.
But the Raptors think Jamaal Magloire might be a good veteran presence in the locker room, an extra coach for the young big men. So they have extended him a non-guaranteed contract with the chance to get the last open roster spot on the team, according to Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun.
Magloire played for the Raptors last season but was on the end of the bench, getting in just 34 games, and when he did play he wasn’t very effective — he shot 37 percent and had a PER of 2.7. Which is a bench warmer in the D-League kind of number. He’s not the guy you usually bring back, he’s the guy gone to make way for young players with potential.
But he’s a veteran leader, and they must see something they like in the locker room. He’s getting a chance to be that guy.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65