Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
The Toronto Raptors don’t really need another big man. They already have Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, Quincy Acy. Bargnani is the scorer, the young guys are going to get minutes because they need to develop.
But the Raptors think Jamaal Magloire might be a good veteran presence in the locker room, an extra coach for the young big men. So they have extended him a non-guaranteed contract with the chance to get the last open roster spot on the team, according to Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun.
Magloire played for the Raptors last season but was on the end of the bench, getting in just 34 games, and when he did play he wasn’t very effective — he shot 37 percent and had a PER of 2.7. Which is a bench warmer in the D-League kind of number. He’s not the guy you usually bring back, he’s the guy gone to make way for young players with potential.
But he’s a veteran leader, and they must see something they like in the locker room. He’s getting a chance to be that guy.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5