Sep 6, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
Don Nelson is deservingly going into the Hall of Fame as a coach this week — he has won more games than any NBA coach ever, he was the innovator of small ball.
But at every stop he seems to be asked, “are you coming back?” He did have some conversations with the Minnesota Timberwolves last summer, so maybe…
No. Not happening. Nelson is done coaching in the NBA, Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated reminds us. And he reminds us that Nelson retired to Maui for a life most of us dream about.
So no, the play-caller who was 1,335-1,063 in 31 seasons with Milwaukee, Golden State, New York and Dallas won’t be leaving his life of poker games, shaved ice stands, coffee and olive trees, and beachfront property in order to chase yet another coaching opening. He did agree to leave the islands for Friday’s induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, though, and he’ll do so as a man who appreciates the invite and is at peace with his legacy….
“I’m having so much fun not coaching in a life that I didn’t know about, doing all these interesting things,” Nelson said. “I didn’t know that I was going to have so much fun not coaching. There is life after basketball. I didn’t know that. I know it now. And I would not go back.”
Is that clear enough for you?
Some owner is going to reach out to Nelson next summer when he is looking for a new coach. It’s inevitable. But the part of Nelson that entertained those calls and ideas is distracted by the Maui sunsets now.
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 21
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 24
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 5