Sep 6, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
Don Nelson is deservingly going into the Hall of Fame as a coach this week — he has won more games than any NBA coach ever, he was the innovator of small ball.
But at every stop he seems to be asked, “are you coming back?” He did have some conversations with the Minnesota Timberwolves last summer, so maybe…
No. Not happening. Nelson is done coaching in the NBA, Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated reminds us. And he reminds us that Nelson retired to Maui for a life most of us dream about.
So no, the play-caller who was 1,335-1,063 in 31 seasons with Milwaukee, Golden State, New York and Dallas won’t be leaving his life of poker games, shaved ice stands, coffee and olive trees, and beachfront property in order to chase yet another coaching opening. He did agree to leave the islands for Friday’s induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, though, and he’ll do so as a man who appreciates the invite and is at peace with his legacy….
“I’m having so much fun not coaching in a life that I didn’t know about, doing all these interesting things,” Nelson said. “I didn’t know that I was going to have so much fun not coaching. There is life after basketball. I didn’t know that. I know it now. And I would not go back.”
Is that clear enough for you?
Some owner is going to reach out to Nelson next summer when he is looking for a new coach. It’s inevitable. But the part of Nelson that entertained those calls and ideas is distracted by the Maui sunsets now.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record