Amare Stoudemire explains “slap” of Miami fire extinguisher

Sep 6, 2012, 4:33 PM EST

Miami Heat v New York Knicks - Game Three Getty Images

It became a story as the Heat blew past the Knicks in the first round of the NBA playoffs, on their way to an NBA title.

Walking off the court after a Game 2 loss, the Knicks Amare Stoudemire was frustrated and hit a fire extinguisher case, leaving lacerations in his hands that caused him to miss the next two games.

Well… he wasn’t frustrated. Not if you ask Stoudemire. Which the guys at FOX Sports Radio Daybreak did and he told them how everyone just misunderstood what happened. (Via Sports Radio Interviews)

“It wasn’t a punch at all actually. It was more like a slap against the wall, but I caught the edge of the fire extinguisher. Some people think I balled my fist up and punched through a glass fire extinguisher, which is totally opposite of the truth. It was more like a smack against the wall, kind of a backhand or a reach back slap across the wall and caught the edge of the fire extinguisher. I think a lot of people confused my passion with frustration. I’m such a passionate player. I want to win so bad to where sometimes I want to win, so I bring my passion and it gets confused with frustration.”

My take: It didn’t really matter. If Stoudemire plays, if Jeremy Lin was healthy and played, the result would have been the same. The Heat were the superior side.

But it wasn’t the smartest thing a passionate player can do.

By the way, here is what Stoudemire said about Jeremy Lin (you know, a point guard who could run the pick-and-roll with him):

“Jeremy had a great 15 or 20 games when he played. Those were some pretty phenomenal games and what he did out there was…you can’t take nothing from him, so the hype was well deserved. I mean he really played well for us and he put us back in the playoff mind frame. It was great to watch.”

1. timb12 - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Is that Lin comment backhanded as well?

2. dysraw1 - Sep 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

forget it STAT just be that dude you was in 2010 an hey im happy

3. tigershark49 - Sep 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

@dysraw1 LEARN ENGLISH!

4. thestudiokida - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Amare is a passionate player? Passionate about scoring baskets maybe, not winning. If he had a passion for winning he’d play defense, run in transition every time and generally try to make every play he possibly could.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Does Carmelo do those things?

• saint1997 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM

sure have another go at Melo, it is good for journalists to exhibit their bias

• jolink653 - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Amare carried the team on his back the first half of 2010 and did just about everything he needed for the Knicks to win…He came up in a Suns system that didn’t even have the word defense in their playbooks and then moved over here with D’Antoni still running things the same way he did in Phoenix…The guy is trying to develop his defensive game to help the team and has been nothing but willing to do whatever it takes to help this team win…He stepped aside when Melo got here and let the offense run through Melo rather than through him and has been working hard in the offseason to develop a post game as well as become more of a defensive stopper…I guarantee you he comes out strong this season as he’s finally healthy and will work with Tyson and Melo in training camp to figure out their spacing issues

• thestudiokida - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Check the Phoenix Suns stats more carefully. With Amare and Nash at the helm they regularly had the 30th ranked defense if you count points per game but that isn’t the most accurate measure, is it? Points per possession never had Phoenix worse than 17th. And when you are 1st in offensive rating every single year you can afford to be 13th or 16th in defense.

Amare’s lack of defense is on him. And it’s not just the defense. He doesn’t grasp “The Secret” as Bill Simmons says. I just finished reading :07 Seconds or Less which is about the season that Amare was hurt. Dude NEVER showed up for rehab. He’s lazy. He just doesn’t have that winning edge like the greats do.

• jolink653 - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

In my mind points per game might be the only measure of team defense because if you’re doing everything else on defense well then you shouldn’t be rock bottom in terms of points against you…I agree there are other parts of that but points per game sums it up and that wasn’t just Amare’s fault or lack of defense but I think it was more because of D’Antoni’s run-and-gun system which makes it tough to always get back after running so much and taking quick, often long distance, shots and allowing the other team to run the fast break…And yes, being 1st in offensive rating allows you to be low in defense so long as you outscore the other team

I’m not saying he’s not lazy and I haven’t read Bill Simmons’ book and I’m also not comparing him with the greats but my point was he put the team on his back in 2010, doing everything he needed to do to win, and was obviously not in shape for the season last year because of his back plus the Knicks issues underneath are due more to spacing as Tyson and Amare clogged the paint last season and didn’t generate any open lanes because they both brought their defenders inside plus Amare and Melo like the ball in a lot of the same spots…I think once they finally get a real training camp together it will all work out and Amare says he’s finally fully healthy so if that holds up I feel like he’ll be as explosive as he used to be…And he doesn’t need to be The Man on this team, just the Robin to Melo’s Batman

5. dls612 - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

He’s actually correcting those who were misinformed about how he hit the fire extinguisher case! Really? He almost ended his career with that dumb move!

6. money2long - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

i know this has nuthin to do with the story, and amare is my man and all, but has anyone else besides me noticed how often he uses the word phenomenal ? if you haven’t, just pay attention to it. okay..sorry for the randomness.

7. miamatt - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Huh, I didn’t realize that the opposite of punching a glass fire extinguisher case was, ” a smack against the wall, kind of a backhand or a reach back slap across the wall and caught the edge of the fire extinguisher.” Nor did I realize that passion and frustration were mutually exclusive. I learned something today.

8. fincity305 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I love when he fouled out in game 5, & they announcer yelled he was “exstinguished”

9. damp1015 - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:27 AM

First and foremost I am a Knicks fan. As dls612 stated is he is clarifying what happened as opposed to what other were assuming. Does it change that it was ridiculous, of course not.

I do believe Amar’e is passionate, but it is not in the same level as Lebron who plays as hard as possible, or like Jordan and Pippen.

I hope he goes back to the scorer he once was along side with Melo and putting a little more effort on defense. I’m not expecting him to be the next DPOY.

And yes, regardless of what someone is going to say, KNICKS ALL DAY!

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches