Sep 5, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
If you watch one video today, this should be it. Fantastic work.
Grantland got access to Iowa State’s Royce White and it was a heck of a ride. White is a point-forward with a lot of skills, maybe top 10 talent in this draft, but a guy who battles an anxiety disorder and that was one of the things that scared teams off. General managers can be risk-averse — if they can get someone solid they may take that over the guy like White with the upside but they fear could flame out.
Get to the four-minute mark of the video, where White’s agent basically tells him if the Rockets don’t take him he could plummet down the board (the Rockets did take him at 16). To me, that was a good spot to take the gamble — if White pans out he has the diverse skill set to fit well into a position revolution NBA. He can do so many things. You have to roll the dice on that upside, not take the safe route.
Watch the video. Great stuff.
Hat tip to The Big Lead.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85