Sep 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
It’s not guarantee, but it’s a chance. And that’s all Scott Machado could ask for.
Machado may have been the best player not drafted last June — he led the nation is assists last season — and the Houston Rockets have him a chance at Summer League where he averaged 5.6 assists per game, fourth most in the Vegas league.
It was enough for the Rockets to give Machado a chance this fall, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Machado will sign a three-year, partially guaranteed deal, most likely on Thursday…. After a slow start in Las Vegas, he finished strong, getting 10 assists in the third game and 20 points in the tournament finale, replacing Courtney Fortson as the starting point guard.
Machado will join a group of players competing to be the primary backup for Jeremy Lin. In addition to Fortson, Toney Douglas and veteran Shaun Livingston will likely see time at the point in the preseason.
Partially guaranteed means the Rockets can cut him during camp, give him a few bucks and he goes away. Machado is going to have to earn a spot on this roster. And there are some solid veterans ahead of him.
But Machado is getting a chance. And I wouldn’t count him out.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5