Sep 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
It’s not guarantee, but it’s a chance. And that’s all Scott Machado could ask for.
Machado may have been the best player not drafted last June — he led the nation is assists last season — and the Houston Rockets have him a chance at Summer League where he averaged 5.6 assists per game, fourth most in the Vegas league.
It was enough for the Rockets to give Machado a chance this fall, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Machado will sign a three-year, partially guaranteed deal, most likely on Thursday…. After a slow start in Las Vegas, he finished strong, getting 10 assists in the third game and 20 points in the tournament finale, replacing Courtney Fortson as the starting point guard.
Machado will join a group of players competing to be the primary backup for Jeremy Lin. In addition to Fortson, Toney Douglas and veteran Shaun Livingston will likely see time at the point in the preseason.
Partially guaranteed means the Rockets can cut him during camp, give him a few bucks and he goes away. Machado is going to have to earn a spot on this roster. And there are some solid veterans ahead of him.
But Machado is getting a chance. And I wouldn’t count him out.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18