Sep 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
It’s not guarantee, but it’s a chance. And that’s all Scott Machado could ask for.
Machado may have been the best player not drafted last June — he led the nation is assists last season — and the Houston Rockets have him a chance at Summer League where he averaged 5.6 assists per game, fourth most in the Vegas league.
It was enough for the Rockets to give Machado a chance this fall, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Machado will sign a three-year, partially guaranteed deal, most likely on Thursday…. After a slow start in Las Vegas, he finished strong, getting 10 assists in the third game and 20 points in the tournament finale, replacing Courtney Fortson as the starting point guard.
Machado will join a group of players competing to be the primary backup for Jeremy Lin. In addition to Fortson, Toney Douglas and veteran Shaun Livingston will likely see time at the point in the preseason.
Partially guaranteed means the Rockets can cut him during camp, give him a few bucks and he goes away. Machado is going to have to earn a spot on this roster. And there are some solid veterans ahead of him.
But Machado is getting a chance. And I wouldn’t count him out.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18