Sep 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EST
It’s not guarantee, but it’s a chance. And that’s all Scott Machado could ask for.
Machado may have been the best player not drafted last June — he led the nation is assists last season — and the Houston Rockets have him a chance at Summer League where he averaged 5.6 assists per game, fourth most in the Vegas league.
It was enough for the Rockets to give Machado a chance this fall, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Machado will sign a three-year, partially guaranteed deal, most likely on Thursday…. After a slow start in Las Vegas, he finished strong, getting 10 assists in the third game and 20 points in the tournament finale, replacing Courtney Fortson as the starting point guard.
Machado will join a group of players competing to be the primary backup for Jeremy Lin. In addition to Fortson, Toney Douglas and veteran Shaun Livingston will likely see time at the point in the preseason.
Partially guaranteed means the Rockets can cut him during camp, give him a few bucks and he goes away. Machado is going to have to earn a spot on this roster. And there are some solid veterans ahead of him.
But Machado is getting a chance. And I wouldn’t count him out.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 0
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 6
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11