Sep 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
It’s not guarantee, but it’s a chance. And that’s all Scott Machado could ask for.
Machado may have been the best player not drafted last June — he led the nation is assists last season — and the Houston Rockets have him a chance at Summer League where he averaged 5.6 assists per game, fourth most in the Vegas league.
It was enough for the Rockets to give Machado a chance this fall, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Machado will sign a three-year, partially guaranteed deal, most likely on Thursday…. After a slow start in Las Vegas, he finished strong, getting 10 assists in the third game and 20 points in the tournament finale, replacing Courtney Fortson as the starting point guard.
Machado will join a group of players competing to be the primary backup for Jeremy Lin. In addition to Fortson, Toney Douglas and veteran Shaun Livingston will likely see time at the point in the preseason.
Partially guaranteed means the Rockets can cut him during camp, give him a few bucks and he goes away. Machado is going to have to earn a spot on this roster. And there are some solid veterans ahead of him.
But Machado is getting a chance. And I wouldn’t count him out.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15