Sep 5, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
It’s not guarantee, but it’s a chance. And that’s all Scott Machado could ask for.
Machado may have been the best player not drafted last June — he led the nation is assists last season — and the Houston Rockets have him a chance at Summer League where he averaged 5.6 assists per game, fourth most in the Vegas league.
It was enough for the Rockets to give Machado a chance this fall, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Machado will sign a three-year, partially guaranteed deal, most likely on Thursday…. After a slow start in Las Vegas, he finished strong, getting 10 assists in the third game and 20 points in the tournament finale, replacing Courtney Fortson as the starting point guard.
Machado will join a group of players competing to be the primary backup for Jeremy Lin. In addition to Fortson, Toney Douglas and veteran Shaun Livingston will likely see time at the point in the preseason.
Partially guaranteed means the Rockets can cut him during camp, give him a few bucks and he goes away. Machado is going to have to earn a spot on this roster. And there are some solid veterans ahead of him.
But Machado is getting a chance. And I wouldn’t count him out.
- Julius Randle signs rookie contract, makes Summer League debut for Lakers 4
- Report: Houston Rockets will not match Mavericks’ Chandler Parsons’ offer, he’s Dallas bound 58
- Dante Exum impresses in flashes during Summer League debut with Jazz 12
- Reports: Luol Deng agrees to two years, $20 million deal with Miami 65
- Cavaliers coach Blatt: Wiggins “not going anywhere” 84
- It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks 51
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 70
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 51