Sep 5, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal does not look like a guy in shape to get back on the basketball court. Frankly, he didn’t look like that his last couple of years he was still in the NBA (when the injuries mounted up).
But he may be back on the court for a couple games in the Mexican Basketball League according to Sergio Ganem, the president of the Mexican team Fuerza Regia,who confirmed talks to ESPNDeportes.com.
Shaq would play one or two games in October. The two sides have had conversations but the report says no deal is in place.
Is this a blatant publicity stunt? Heck yes. And it’s a smart one. This is the same team that had Dennis Rodman for a few games in 2004 and used 7’9” Chinese player Sun Ming Ming. It’s all about publicity stunts.
And when you’re a small league in a country where you are a minor sport, then go all Bill Veeck. Bring in anyone you want, do whatever you can to get attention.
And if Shaq is up for it, well, go for it. Not sure Shaq can even dunk anymore, but it would still be a show.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59