Sep 5, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
Shaquille O’Neal does not look like a guy in shape to get back on the basketball court. Frankly, he didn’t look like that his last couple of years he was still in the NBA (when the injuries mounted up).
But he may be back on the court for a couple games in the Mexican Basketball League according to Sergio Ganem, the president of the Mexican team Fuerza Regia,who confirmed talks to ESPNDeportes.com.
Shaq would play one or two games in October. The two sides have had conversations but the report says no deal is in place.
Is this a blatant publicity stunt? Heck yes. And it’s a smart one. This is the same team that had Dennis Rodman for a few games in 2004 and used 7’9” Chinese player Sun Ming Ming. It’s all about publicity stunts.
And when you’re a small league in a country where you are a minor sport, then go all Bill Veeck. Bring in anyone you want, do whatever you can to get attention.
And if Shaq is up for it, well, go for it. Not sure Shaq can even dunk anymore, but it would still be a show.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (40)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)