Sep 5, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal does not look like a guy in shape to get back on the basketball court. Frankly, he didn’t look like that his last couple of years he was still in the NBA (when the injuries mounted up).
But he may be back on the court for a couple games in the Mexican Basketball League according to Sergio Ganem, the president of the Mexican team Fuerza Regia,who confirmed talks to ESPNDeportes.com.
Shaq would play one or two games in October. The two sides have had conversations but the report says no deal is in place.
Is this a blatant publicity stunt? Heck yes. And it’s a smart one. This is the same team that had Dennis Rodman for a few games in 2004 and used 7’9” Chinese player Sun Ming Ming. It’s all about publicity stunts.
And when you’re a small league in a country where you are a minor sport, then go all Bill Veeck. Bring in anyone you want, do whatever you can to get attention.
And if Shaq is up for it, well, go for it. Not sure Shaq can even dunk anymore, but it would still be a show.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16