Sep 5, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
Let’s just hope he doesn’t go Steve Kerr and punch Bubba Watson in the face…
Michael Jordan was certainly known as a motivator as an NBA player, although mostly because he was competitive to the point of near insanity (he once told Kerr he had never felt so low as when his team had lost a scrimmage at a Bulls practice). Jordan was the bad cop and nobody played good cop. He yelled drove people, embarrassed them and pushed them. And he has six rings in part because of that.
Jordan will be at close quarters with Love and his team. The 49-year-old has previously been an assistant captain for Fred Couples – himself part of Love’s backroom team – at the Presidents Cup.
“I’ve talked to him. Michael’s going to be hanging around with Fred probably a lot and be an influence,” Love said. “I told Michael this a couple weeks ago. One of the neatest things I ever saw in the Ryder Cup was Michael riding in the golf cart with Tom Kite. He came out to watch Freddie and I play and I thought that was one of the coolest things.
“So I want my team, like Fred and I did, to get to see Michael. Rather than him sneaking around in the gallery, I want him to be seen and I want him to be in our team room, be hanging around and be a great influence.”
Basically, it’s just cool to hang out with Michael Jordan. Even if you are one of the best golfers in the world.
The Ryder Cup is a three-day golf competition between the best of the USA and the best of Europe, competing for their side. There’s a lot of national (and continental) pride on the line and makes for good television. It begins Sept. 28 and you can see the weekend matches on NBC.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)