Sep 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
Despite the fervent wishes of his fans, Allen Iverson is not going to get another shot in the NBA. Teams are not showing interest. There are health concerns and his game has deteriorated to the point that he is not considered worth the disruption and distraction his presence would bring into a locker room (how he ended it in Memphis and Philly doesn’t help).
But if he’s not playing in the NBA he could be playing in China.
“I definitely want to return to the NBA, but if I can’t get back there, I’m hoping to play ball here (China).”
With regards to his team of choice, Iverson chose to reply obliquely, saying: “I’m not leaning towards any one team, and there’s no ‘first choice’ like what the others say.” However, Iverson points to the CBA as one of his backup options. “China is still one of my choices, but the team that wants me to join has got to show me that they really mean it, like ‘hey we really need you’.”
“We really need you” is the new “show me the money,” apparently.
Iverson has played for a season in Turkey… well, most of a season until he got injured. Him going overseas is not new.
China makes a lot of sense — teams there would be willing to pay and he certainly would be a draw. He could be a star in that league the way Stephon Marbury is — Starbury is getting statues.
That is, if Iverson can embrace the culture changes, something we saw during the lockout was not easy for everyone. But this makes the most sense for him if he’s looking to play and get paid.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4