Sep 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
Despite the fervent wishes of his fans, Allen Iverson is not going to get another shot in the NBA. Teams are not showing interest. There are health concerns and his game has deteriorated to the point that he is not considered worth the disruption and distraction his presence would bring into a locker room (how he ended it in Memphis and Philly doesn’t help).
But if he’s not playing in the NBA he could be playing in China.
“I definitely want to return to the NBA, but if I can’t get back there, I’m hoping to play ball here (China).”
With regards to his team of choice, Iverson chose to reply obliquely, saying: “I’m not leaning towards any one team, and there’s no ‘first choice’ like what the others say.” However, Iverson points to the CBA as one of his backup options. “China is still one of my choices, but the team that wants me to join has got to show me that they really mean it, like ‘hey we really need you’.”
“We really need you” is the new “show me the money,” apparently.
Iverson has played for a season in Turkey… well, most of a season until he got injured. Him going overseas is not new.
China makes a lot of sense — teams there would be willing to pay and he certainly would be a draw. He could be a star in that league the way Stephon Marbury is — Starbury is getting statues.
That is, if Iverson can embrace the culture changes, something we saw during the lockout was not easy for everyone. But this makes the most sense for him if he’s looking to play and get paid.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10