Sep 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
Despite the fervent wishes of his fans, Allen Iverson is not going to get another shot in the NBA. Teams are not showing interest. There are health concerns and his game has deteriorated to the point that he is not considered worth the disruption and distraction his presence would bring into a locker room (how he ended it in Memphis and Philly doesn’t help).
But if he’s not playing in the NBA he could be playing in China.
“I definitely want to return to the NBA, but if I can’t get back there, I’m hoping to play ball here (China).”
With regards to his team of choice, Iverson chose to reply obliquely, saying: “I’m not leaning towards any one team, and there’s no ‘first choice’ like what the others say.” However, Iverson points to the CBA as one of his backup options. “China is still one of my choices, but the team that wants me to join has got to show me that they really mean it, like ‘hey we really need you’.”
“We really need you” is the new “show me the money,” apparently.
Iverson has played for a season in Turkey… well, most of a season until he got injured. Him going overseas is not new.
China makes a lot of sense — teams there would be willing to pay and he certainly would be a draw. He could be a star in that league the way Stephon Marbury is — Starbury is getting statues.
That is, if Iverson can embrace the culture changes, something we saw during the lockout was not easy for everyone. But this makes the most sense for him if he’s looking to play and get paid.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14