Sep 4, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets have a very flashy new building in Brooklyn. Well, it looks a little rusty on the outside, but that’s intentional. Inside it’s as state of the art as arenas get now, according to all reports. And it is set up with plenty of revenue-generating luxury boxes, then more exclusive Jay-Z designed suites. Because just luxury suites are not enough anymore.
But the Nets practice facility is still in East Rutherford, New Jersey. About 40 minutes from Brooklyn if there is no traffic. And there is never no traffic.
The Nets will spend nearly twice as many days at the practice facility this season as at Barclays, so as Nets players are finding places to live in the area they are leaning closer to practice than in the city, reports Howard Beck at the New York Times.
So when the final buzzer sounds each night, Brooklyn’s basketball ambassadors will retreat to TriBeCa and Hell’s Kitchen in Manhattan, and to Edgewater, Hoboken and Clifton in North Jersey. You might see them in Fort Lee, but not in Fort Greene.
“I like Brooklyn a lot,” Deron Williams said, before adding: “We practice in Jersey. In Manhattan, I’m in between both…”
Seven Nets will reside in New Jersey, including the rookie Tyshawn Taylor, who got an apartment in Hoboken, his hometown.
The Nets are shopping for a place to build a new practice facility in the Brooklyn area, something that could be ready in a couple years when their Jersey facility lease is up. That would certainly draw players back to the area.
But lets not just pick on the Nets — less than half the Knicks live in Manhattan (and the six last season was the highest number in years). The Times says there are not Yankees in the Bronx and almost no Mets in Queens. Most of the Giants and Jets live in New Jersey, close to the practice and game facilities in East Rutherford.
But if the Nets get a practice facility built, they could keep a lot of players in the borough (Brooklyn has a mix of young singles and families).
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 0
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 34
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38