Sep 4, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
The Brooklyn Nets have a very flashy new building in Brooklyn. Well, it looks a little rusty on the outside, but that’s intentional. Inside it’s as state of the art as arenas get now, according to all reports. And it is set up with plenty of revenue-generating luxury boxes, then more exclusive Jay-Z designed suites. Because just luxury suites are not enough anymore.
But the Nets practice facility is still in East Rutherford, New Jersey. About 40 minutes from Brooklyn if there is no traffic. And there is never no traffic.
The Nets will spend nearly twice as many days at the practice facility this season as at Barclays, so as Nets players are finding places to live in the area they are leaning closer to practice than in the city, reports Howard Beck at the New York Times.
So when the final buzzer sounds each night, Brooklyn’s basketball ambassadors will retreat to TriBeCa and Hell’s Kitchen in Manhattan, and to Edgewater, Hoboken and Clifton in North Jersey. You might see them in Fort Lee, but not in Fort Greene.
“I like Brooklyn a lot,” Deron Williams said, before adding: “We practice in Jersey. In Manhattan, I’m in between both…”
Seven Nets will reside in New Jersey, including the rookie Tyshawn Taylor, who got an apartment in Hoboken, his hometown.
The Nets are shopping for a place to build a new practice facility in the Brooklyn area, something that could be ready in a couple years when their Jersey facility lease is up. That would certainly draw players back to the area.
But lets not just pick on the Nets — less than half the Knicks live in Manhattan (and the six last season was the highest number in years). The Times says there are not Yankees in the Bronx and almost no Mets in Queens. Most of the Giants and Jets live in New Jersey, close to the practice and game facilities in East Rutherford.
But if the Nets get a practice facility built, they could keep a lot of players in the borough (Brooklyn has a mix of young singles and families).
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 21
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 11
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 3
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)