Sep 4, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Josh Harrellson is getting his chance. It’s in his hands now.
Yesterday we told you about Harrellson tweeting he was headed to Miami where he would hopefully be “for 9 months.” But he doesn’t have a deal with the Heat, he simply is getting an extended look, reports Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
According to a source familiar with the Heat’s approach, the team will be holding what essentially is a pre-camp camp in advance of the formal Sept. 29 start to training camp at AmericanAirlines Arena, with Harrellson in that mix of camp hopefuls.
According to the source, Harrellson is being brought in for a one-week tryout, with no contract guarantee in place.
Why do it this way? Harrellson had a workout with the Heat before and he buzz was that they liked his shooting but not his conditioning. This extended tryout seems to fit with that — he gets a week to show he has been getting in shape and for them to see his workouts up close for longer.
Harrellson will have to beat out Mickell Gladness for the spot as the final big on the roster. And if the Heat don’t like either of them they could start looking at guys like Chris Andersen and Andray Blatche, but clearly those guys are far enough down the list that others are getting a good look ahead of them.
None of these people are getting a lot of minutes. The Heat will start games with Chris Bosh at the five (a small ball lineup that took them to the title last year) and they still have guys like Joel Anthony off the bench. But the Heat need some size to deal with guys in the East like Andrew Bynum and Roy Hibbert.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11