Jackson says Reggie Miller is third best shooting guard ever

Sep 4, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT

Reggie Miller Getty Images

Reggie Miller is entering the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame this week. Deservedly so — he is one of the great pure shooters the game has ever seen. But while we tend to think of him as just a guy at the arc he could put the ball on the floor and draw fouls, he was a good passer, he could create shots for himself and others as well.

So as he steps into the building with the all-time greats, where does he rank among the top shooting guards ever to play the game?

Former Pacer, former annoying broadcaster, current Warriors coach Mark Jackson was asked that by the Indianapolis Star and came back with a surprising number.

“When you take Michael Jordan and you take Kobe Bryant out of the discussion, he’s as good as any two-guard that has ever played the game,” Jackson said.

I’m not sure anyone is trying to take them out of the equation, but okay, let’s play that game. Even without them the list is very impressive, here is the group our man Sekou Smith put together at NBA.com.

Let’s see … (and these names are no particular order) George Gervin, Jerry West, Allen Iverson, Dwyane Wade, Clyde Drexler, Earl “The Pearl” Monroe, Ray Allen, Joe Dumars and “Pistol” Pete Maravich are names that certainly come to mind when the discussion turns to the top shooting guards of all time.

We could quibble about whether Iverson was a point or two guard, but the list is still valid — Miller is good but guys like West, Gervin, Wade and Maravich are better in my mind.

However, that is a barstool argument about who is the best among some of the greatest to ever play the game, and while I’m willing to do it most of the time this is Reggie Miller’s week in the sun. He is entering the Hall of Fame and he deserves the praise coming to him this week. Now is not the time to nit-pick his game. We’re going to let him have his moment.

But Jackson thinks a little more highly of Miller than some of the rest of us.

1. lakerluver - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Just google top 10 NBA shooting guards of all time and you will find many of the most respected writers and online sites. They overwhelmingly pick MJ and Kobe 1 and 2. But of course it’s because West only won 1 title…..Whatever. Kobe’s a polarizing figure. He will never get his proper due from some. But the “experts” know where he ranks.

• camnellum12 - Sep 5, 2012 at 3:21 AM

lakerluver, my fellow Laker fan, why do you keep doing this? Jerry West appeared in 9, I repeat, NINE NBA Finals, but only came away with one. Bill Russell and Red Auerbach are responsible for most of those failings. The cohesiveness and execution of the 60’s Celtics may never be executed again, and we may never see that again. Bill Russell knew how hard Jerry took these losses: “Jerry, you are, in every sense of the word, truly a champion… If I could have one wish granted, it would be that you would always be happy.”

So with that being said, replace Jerry West with Kobe in the 60’s, Kobe would probably only have one ring himself. Another funny thing is that when asked who was the greatest Laker, Kobe said West, and West admires Kobe and proclaimed him the greatest Laker ever (Kobe hasn’t surpassed Magic, though). You measuring Kobe’s rings’ to Jerry’s is a weak attempt to one up Kobe.

• cramsinned - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Jerry West was also the only player to win a finals MVP even though they team didn’t win the series

2. anbesanegus - Sep 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM

What else do you expect from mark Jackson he made ridiculous comments like this while he was a jackass for a commentator

3. paulhargis53 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Too funny, FIVE posts defending his position!!
    It doesn’t suprise me that you use bleacher report as your or hoops manifesto as your ” experts”. They aren’t experts, they are just blog writers, dummy.
    How can you take them seriously when Havlicek is only in 1 top 10?

The point of this whole matter, is you have been exposed as not knowing anything about your teams history.

Saying that Kobe and MJ are the only real 2 way players at the SG position is ludicrous.
    You’re saying that KAJ is the best center ever, is another dumb statement. If you would have said, best I ever saw play, you’d have been ok.
    But for someone of your ilk, that professes love for the Lakers, to not know anything about Jerry Wests stats, well thats a pretty big blemish on your fandom.
    Something tells me you were late to the Laker party, only started liking them when they started winning. You reek of being a frontrunner.

Also, quit using the argument that old time players wouldnt keep up. A hall of gamer is a hall of gamer in any era.
    The argument has no merit, you put Kobe back then, w/o the access to training he has now, he is going to be good, but he’s not dominating West or any other HOFer.
    If West had access to what players have today, he’d be a HOFer now too.

You are a dope and its been my pleasure to expose you.
    I’m sorry to the other Laker fans, a lot of you are smart fans. Please do.t take my bashing of this guy personally.

4. lakerluver - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I didn’t make up the lists. No need for personal attacks just because you’re wrong. Just accept it and move on to the next debate.

5. lakerluver - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

What’s interesting is when discussion of the GOAT comes up rarely do I hear West. It’s always is Kobe better than MJ. I have NEVER heard West’s name in the discussion. It’s clear to most “knowledgable” fans who holds the top 2 spots, my friend. Again, I didn’t make the lists ( that’s plural), I’m just reporting the facts. Look it up for yourself. Google as many sites as you can and see what the consensus is. The problem is some of you guys let your biases get in the way of facts or what former players/coaches and experts say. You “smartphone” experts kill me!!!!

6. paulhargis53 - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

You have never ONCE quoted a coach or former player on this thread. You are saying google top 10,lists.

I don’t care what Phil MaCracken at bleacher report says. I don’t care what Emerson Bigguns at yahoo sports says.

If you’d bother to read any of those, a majority of them said, had West got,a few more titles, he’d be #2.

You don’t know the team history, that is,what’s funny about this. You’ve been exposed as a fraud. You started liking the,Lakers when Shaq was there and they,started winning again. Before that, I’m sure you were a huge Bulls fan.
    I’m,sure you’re a Yankees fan too, right?,Always,the frontrunner.

These guys are all great. What you aren’t getting is that you throw out dumb comments with out thinking them through. You didn’t know enough about West to know that he was one of the greatest 2 way players out there.

You proclaim Nash king of the point guards. Let me tell you something, until someone AVERAGES a triple double for a season again like Oscar Robertson did, there is no debate on who is king at that position. He’s better than Stockon, Magic, or whoever else you want to throw out there.
    You have no sense of history for your “team”, or the game.
    By the way, I don’t care what era the Big O did it in. It hadn’t been dine before or since.
    You are an imbecile.

7. rydiesel - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Hall of Fame? Yes.. Better than his sister? No

8. lakerluver - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Ok, my friend. I think it’s CLEAR who the majority ranks as the two greatest sg’s. Therefore, see you at the next debate. I’ll school you at that one too. And I’ll do it without personal attacks. I guess when you really only have your opinion to back up your points you have to rely personal attacks. How rich!! :-)

9. dal24la - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

LOL, After MJ and Kobe, there is Jerry West and Dwade. I’d take all the guys Sekou mentioned over Reggie.

10. ah20bloopbloop - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

LOL @ Lakerluver…..If I’m not mistaken, you look like the Human Torch from the Fantastic 4 movie cause PaulHargis53 just roasted you. I guess it’s his MJ killer insticts.

11. paulhargis53 - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

ah20: He’s that delusional to think “he’s winning” these points.
    He blatantly lies about things he’s said, or lies about things I’ve posted.
    He throws out ridiculous statements, with no proof to back them up, then calls the facts that I post opinions.

He’s under the impression that everyone is devoid of reading comprehension like he is. I’ve detested this guy from the 1st time I’ve seen a post of his. I can’t stand the homeristic stupidity. Guy doesn’t think basketball counted back in the 50s and 60s. Unless he wants to rub titles in people’s faces. He is a terrible fan. Loudest mouth, with the least knowledge.

Thanks for voicing what everyone else knows though, that he’s sorely lacking in debate skills…..gonna have to look up the torch’s name….been awhile since I read those comics…

12. cramsinned - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

The logo, Mr. Clutch is far better than Kobe.

13. netsfan679 - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I wouldn’t say he’s the third best… I’d say he was an elite sg and an amazing player but up there with Kobe and mj, I’d say maybe tenth best at best

14. tcclark - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM

How can Reggie Miller be the third best shooting guard of all-time when he was only the third best shooting guard 3 times in his 18 year NBA Career? Reggie was a three time All-NBA Third Teamer… that’s it. He didn’t play in Jordan’s Shadow. He was so far behind, he couldn’t find Jordan’s shadow. Honestly, he played in Mitch Richmond’s shadow. Mitch was an amazing three point shooter (38.8% vs Reggie’s 39.5%) with higher career averages in points, assists, and rebounds. He made 3 All-NBA 2nd teams and 2 All NBA Third teams. He was also the rookie of the year in 1989 and the ALL-Star game MVP in 1995 (two things Reggie wasn’t close to accomplishing). Also Mitch played in 1 more All-Star game despite playing 5 less years in the NBA. Reggie’s a slightly worse Mitch Richmond who beat the Knicks in dramatic fashion. Judging by All-Star voting and All-NBA voting Mitch Ritchmond was considered the better player throughout their careers, and yet the “legend” of Reggie Miller has grown so much that he’s somehow surpassed Richmond without really doing anything. Take off the Knicks goggles and look at this clearly. Reggie Miller was a Hall of Fame shooter, not a hall of fame player

15. lumpyf - Sep 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Based on the headline I wasn’t sure what Jackson made these comments. Reggie was the first Jackson that came to mind.

16. don444 - Sep 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I’d say Miller as the thrid best shooting guard ever is a good bit too high, but really, are opinions on such things ever really that important? Opinions are just someone’s subjective thought on a subject and you generally them with a grain of salt as opposed to seriously analyzing them.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches