Sep 4, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
The Houston Rockets are hosting the All-Star Game this February and as part of that are doing $15 million in upgrades to the arena so it looks all spiffy for its guests. Kind of like how you only hire a cleaning service for your home right before a party.
The new video board will be the largest indoor center-hung scoreboard in the United States, offering patrons an unprecedented view of the action at Houston Rockets home games and Toyota Center events such as the upcoming 2013 NBA All-Star Game. The new board is the centerpiece of a sweeping arena-wide improvement project that was announced today and also includes the installation of new HD flat panel screens throughout the concourses, upgraded Wi-Fi connectivity options, new concessions point-of-sale systems and other upgrades for Toyota Center patrons.
Apparently somebody had Cowboy Stadium envy. (By the way, the Rockets say it is the largest indoor stadium board by suggesting the Jerry Jones monster board is outdoor.)
There are a lot of cool things the Rockets may do with such a board, but what should be pointed out is this is the trend. The Pacers are getting a similar sized board. You can bet 28 other arenas are thinking about it… okay, 27, there is no way the Maloofs are putting one up in Sacramento.
Still, just like televisions in homes, bigger is better. And we want our Wi-Fi at the same time.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 37
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?