Sep 4, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
The Houston Rockets are hosting the All-Star Game this February and as part of that are doing $15 million in upgrades to the arena so it looks all spiffy for its guests. Kind of like how you only hire a cleaning service for your home right before a party.
The new video board will be the largest indoor center-hung scoreboard in the United States, offering patrons an unprecedented view of the action at Houston Rockets home games and Toyota Center events such as the upcoming 2013 NBA All-Star Game. The new board is the centerpiece of a sweeping arena-wide improvement project that was announced today and also includes the installation of new HD flat panel screens throughout the concourses, upgraded Wi-Fi connectivity options, new concessions point-of-sale systems and other upgrades for Toyota Center patrons.
Apparently somebody had Cowboy Stadium envy. (By the way, the Rockets say it is the largest indoor stadium board by suggesting the Jerry Jones monster board is outdoor.)
There are a lot of cool things the Rockets may do with such a board, but what should be pointed out is this is the trend. The Pacers are getting a similar sized board. You can bet 28 other arenas are thinking about it… okay, 27, there is no way the Maloofs are putting one up in Sacramento.
Still, just like televisions in homes, bigger is better. And we want our Wi-Fi at the same time.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17