Sep 4, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
For 22 years, the Phoenix Suns have had a gorilla as a mascot. Why a gorilla, as the species is not exactly native to the American Southwest’s deserts? Because in 1980 a guy delivering a singing telegram to the arena did a couple dances near the basket and the fans loved it. It grew from there.
Now the Suns gorilla is one of the oldest NBA mascots, one of the first to play jokes on opposing coaches, to mock the other team, and one of the first to become a high-flying dunker.
And now, that can be you.
The Suns are looking for a new gorilla (okay, not to ruin the surprise, but for a guy to be inside the gorilla costume). Why? We don’t know but the old gorilla getting in an altercation in a restaurant probably didn’t help his cause. Anyway, follow this link to the ad (hat tip to our sister blog Off the Bench).
You should have a college degree and a couple years mascot experience at the college or pro level. Gymnastics skills and the ability to do high-flying dunks off a trampoline while wearing a costume is a must. You better be in great shape. And you better be able to fire up a crowd, because without Steve Nash this season suns fans are going to need some entertainment.
You also need to be “proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other related computer skills required.” Of course. Because a thousand gorillas at a thousand typewriters is how they create the game night programs. (Actually, you probably have to keep up the Gorilla’s own web site.)
Anyway, I somehow though a few of my readers here would think they could go ape… sorry, that was too easy. But if you apply, good luck.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 0
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 6
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 6
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable