Ann Meyers Drysdale to broadcast some Suns games

Sep 4, 2012, 3:32 PM EST

Ann Meyers Drysdale Charles Barkley Getty Images

For the first time since 1979, an NBA team is going to have a female broadcaster do some games.

Ann Meyers Drysdale is joining the Suns broadcast team for at least 20 games next season, reports Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.

“I learned from Don (Drysdale, her late husband and former Dodger broadcaster) about my confidence and capability,” said Meyers Drysdale, the Suns organization’s only Hall of Famer now that Jerry Colangelo’s ties ended two months ago. “There are going to be people out there who won’t like this decision and people who haven’t heard women call men’s games. But I’ve proven myself and I know what I’m talking about.”

The last woman to do it on a local level? Meyers Drysdale herself in 1979 for the Indiana Pacers (she signed with them and when they released her she did color commentary until she went to play in a women’s professional league).

Meyers Drysdale knows her basketball — she worked as a scout for the Suns when Mike D’Antoni was there, she has worked as a D-League coach and in the front office. She’s a Hall of Famer. She is smarter than you and me. She has been with the Suns in recent years as a VP working mostly on the community and public relations side of the operation, but she has continued to do some broadcasting.

This is a nice step, but the bottom line is if a woman is qualified I want her on the broadcast. Doris Burke of ESPN is a color analyst I like better than 80 percent of men out there doing the job, she is smart and even handed. She’s great. Meyers may be able to be that, too.

And I’m happy for her she only has to do 20 games, because looking at the Suns roster I’m not sure anyone should have to sit through all 82. It’s going to be a long winter in the Valley of the Sun.

1. cosanostra71 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

“Doris Burke of ESPN is a color analyst I like”

I have nothing against women broadcasting (good luck to Drysdale, I’ve never heard her so I’ll withhold judgment), but Doris Burke? Really? She’s terrible!

• Kurt Helin - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I disagree. What, you want more Reggie Miller?

• cosanostra71 - Sep 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

No, I’d prefer less of both. More Marv Albert please.

2. lakerryan - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM

God Doris Burke is terrible. Her voice is horrible first off then to hear her try to talk about the game just kills me. I watch on mute when she is on. She sounds like a man sorta so if I’m gonna have that I’d rather just have a man. Good lord I could go on for days.

• phaden27 - Sep 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Wish I could understand the downvotes. Both Doris and Reggie Miller really make me feel like I’m listening to someone reading off an outline of how to play basketball.
      As players they were both great and talented, but give me C Webb or Steve Kerr with some combo of Marv Albert or Kevin Harlan any day.

3. lakerryan - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Agreed. Reggie miller is like “Here Kobe rolls off the screen and shoots” and “he passed the ball into his guy and shot the ball in the hoop” but says it in a big voice to make it sound exciting. It was good hearing Doug Collins during the Olympics. @phaden27

4. readysethike - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

doris burke is terrible…and reggie miller is even worse…he talks as if hes reading a script and its like the night before a game he studies slang and tries to incorporate it in his commentary…

5. don444 - Sep 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM

I have nothing personal against Meyers, but I’d remind you that others might not be as willing to bow down and anoinit her an incomparable basketball mind as quickly as you are (yes Kurt, I’m well aware of her many accomplishments and pedigree, so spare me that s**t). Good for her, but really, is there any need to appear that giddy over this announcement? Your mother, wife and daughters must have trained you very well for you to spout that self-effacing, effeminate drivel. To each his own, but I’d try real hard to sound less like a whipped pussy in future if I were you.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches