Sep 3, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Andray Blatche is going to have to prove it. He used up all his get out of jail free cards with the Wizards, now he is going to have to prove his worth to other NBA teams.
Take, for example, the report before that the Brooklyn Nets may have interest in Blatche. That was followed up by this note at ESPNNewYork.com.
Even if the Brooklyn Nets take a flyer on Andray Blatche, they won’t be offering the free agent big man a guaranteed contract, league sources told ESPN NewYork.com. The Nets currently have 13 players with guaranteed contracts. If they do fill their remaining two spots, they will be with training camp invites/non-guaranteed deals who end up winning the spots, league sources said.
What that means is the Nets can cut him during camp if they want. It’s an NFL-style contract. With the second highest payroll in the NBA, the Nets are not going to add a guy they don’t think can help when games tip off. Blatche comes with risks in the locker room and on the mental end of the game, and teams are going to want to see something out of him before they take a chance.
That said, some team will take that chance before the regular season tips off.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4