Sep 3, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
For a guy known for his oratory skills, this Barack Obama shot at Mitt Romney looks like an Andrew Bynum three pointer.
Obama is out on the campaign trail this holiday weekend, firing up his supporters before heading to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte. A city where he might not want to compare his record to the local NBA squad (just a little free advice, Mr. President).
No matter what moves Mr. Romney made, the president said, he and his team were going to cut him off and block him at every turn. “We’re the Miami Heat, and he’s Jeremy Lin,” Mr. Obama said, according to the aide.
Um… bad analogy.
I get what you are going for, at least I think I do — that you have the better team who can shut down this overhyped newcomer. Like the Heat did to Lin.
But part of Lin’s appeal is he is the American dream — the kid is not the most athletic guy on the court but he worked hard, played smart, got the most out of the talent given him, played for free at the most prestigious academic institution in the nation (there are no scholarships at Harvard), fought to make an NBA roster and when really given a chance in the right setting exploded on the scene. He parlayed that into a big contract and success.
Part of Jeremy Lin’s appeal is we can all see ourselves as Lin in a way we never could with LeBron James or a big man like Dwight Howard. None of the rest of us were gifted like that. Lin, we can relate to him.
Let me try to help, Mr. President. I think the analogy you want is “We’re the Miami Heat, he’s the Brooklyn Nets.” That’s a team put together by a billionaire with most of his money locked up overseas, a team that has some talent but is unproven, a team that was put together on an old-rules model not really thinking through the long-term consequences (in the Nets case the new luxury tax costs and restrictions mixed with Joe Johnson’s contract). I think that is more what you were going for.
Just trying to help, Mr. President.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50